Chapter 3: Misguided Emotions

Chapter 3

Summer P.O.V.

Glancing out my car window, I saw there are several cars already parked. Taking out my cell from my pocket and quickly looking at the time, 7:50 pm. I finally managed to find a parking spot all the way at the end and I somehow managed to squeezed between two huge trucks. After shoving pass that truck and my car, I'm now walking toward the hall attached to the church. Looking around nervously and I looked down at my attire. Most people attending are wearing the usual black, funeral attire. But after furiously debating on what to wear earlier, I suffice for my nicest pair of jeans, a white cardigan, and a pink blouse tank top, and sandals adorned my feet. I was too lazy to find a pair of shoes to match.

Hell, I even did my hair.

I entered the hall and I surveyed the room cautiously. I can see two coffins placed in front of the room and two huge pictures were placed next to each coffin. Both coffins were open and I vaguely see the bodies. Pictures are placed next to the coffins, two smiling parents looking down at their rotting bodies. Rows of chairs are facing the coffins and people are already seating themselves. I looked around quickly and my eyes gladly landed on Emma. Rushing over to her and seating myself next to her.

"Hey, Summer!" she greeted when she saw me.

"Hi," I panted out, and touched my neck.

Emma smiled widely, "I didn't think you would come! Did Romney bail on you?" she replied in an teasing tone.

I shook my head, "he just hates funerals," I joked and smiled back at her.

She laughed, "Romney is just a wimp. He gets really uncomfortable around crying people," she explained and snickered.

Rising my eyebrows, "He would," I mumbled under my breath.

"Anyway, look at Avery. She's sitting in the front row," Emma exclaimed suddenly and pointed in Avery's direction.

I followed her finger and my eyes fell upon Avery. She's sitting next to two older looking people, but the way she looked felt off. Avery is just sitting there and staring blankly at the open caskets. Her hands are clenched tightly and placed on her lap.

"Are they her grandparents?" I asked and looked at Emma before glancing back at Avery.

"Yea, her mom's parents," Emma confirmed.

Her grandparents both looked Italian, dark skin and dark hair. They looked like native Italians, they probably immigrated here. The grandmother dabbed her teary eyes with a cloth and the grandfather wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders. The grandmother then turned and pressed her face against her husband's chest and I can hear the faint sounds of her crying being muffled. Avery glanced at them and dropped her shoulders.

"Wow, that's tough," Emma commented from behind me.

Nodding my head in agreement, "why isn't she crying?" I pointed out.

"I'm not sure, she's been treating the whole death pretty well," Emma chimed in.

Avery then stood up and walked briskly toward the podium placed facing everyone. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and she breathed deeply. Her eyes looked at everyone in the room, including my, but her gaze continued on.

"Thanks for coming, I appreciate it and I apologized if the viewing was scheduled at an inconvenient time," she announced in a quivering voice. The sound of paper being unfolded is heard and Avery brings her fist to her mouth and she coughs, "my parents," she started and looked at her audience, "my parents were great people," she spoke out shakily.