Chapter 20: Be Okay

Chapter 20

Summer's P.O.V.

I'm running and the frigid sea wind chills my bones and burns my lungs with each breath. Puffs of frosty air float in front of me as my breathing increases. My muscles have a refreshing burn and I feel free. Loud techno music blasts from my ear buds and I can't hear anything around me. Seemingly, all my worries have disappeared and all I can think about is...Avery.

Her very being is branded in my thoughts.

I halted my running and look behind my shoulder and see Avery struggling to keep up. My face contorts into a ear splitting grin and I watch her jog closer to me.

I pluck out one ear bud, "I'm not running that fast," I joked.

Avery stopped in front of me and clamps her hand on my shoulder and breathes heavily and craning her head skyward and desperately trying to catch her breath.

"You..." one long huff, "suck," she finished and dropped her head on my shoulder.

"Someone has to work out more," I replied.

"Shut up!" She wheezed through clenched teeth and proceed to pinched my neck.

I reached out and grasped her waist with my hands and steadied her swaying body. Avery leaned against me and dropped her head onto my shoulder.

"It's cold, too early, and I'm so tired!" She whined.

"Stop complaining," I mumbled into her ear and rubbed my hands along the sides of her torso.

Avery muttered curses under her breath and pulled away from me.

"Can we go back to the dorm? I could use a nice shower and warmth!" Avery cried out and briskly jogged in the direction of the dorms.

"Last one there has to take a cold shower!" I yelled and sprinted passed her.

"Summer!" I heard her whine from behind me.

I briefly glanced back before pushing myself forward and quickening my sprint. I pumped my arms faster and dug my toes into the ground and ran steadfast until I spotted the staircase leading toward the dorm. I climbed the stairs two at a time, ran sharply around a corner, and zoomed down the familiar walkway. Finally, I dug the key out of my jacket pocket and unlocked the door in record time. Undaunted by Avery's impending presence, I zipped straight through the small living room and right into my room.

Minutes later, I hear Avery's light footsteps as she rushed into my room. She grasps the door frame with both hands and let herself calm down her rigid breathing. Tilting my head to the side and I gaze at her from my spot on the bed. Avery steps inside my room and heaved her body and leaned quite dependently on the wall. Her black soccer pants seemed brand new, and her running shoes looked pristine, and the black windbreaker appeared distinctively spotless. The collar of the jacket covered her entire neck and brushed just beneath her chin.

Her blonde hair is pulled back in a sleek ponytail, but, yet, a few loose strands hung freely around her face. More time passes by and finally her breathing subsides and evens out.

"You good?" I asked as I stood up from the bed and strode toward her.

"Yea and I'm never running with you again," she grumbled and gripped the hem of my long sleeve thermal.

I smiled and grabbed the collar of the windbreaker and tugged the zipper down. Leaning forward, I lifted my hand and placed my fingers over her pulse point.

"What are you doing?" Avery mumbled and pulled my hand away from her throat.

"I was counting your pulse," I explained and stepped away from her.