Chapter 2: Summer Nights

Chapter 2

Summer's P. O. V.

Emptiness. It's all around me. I mean, I don't feel depressed, just lonely. I dropped my arm over my face and rolled onto my back. Last night I had left every window in the house open and the room smelled like the salty ocean. I'm not even sleeping in my own room, last night I had knocked out in the guest room. But I prefer this room better, the bed is bigger, there's a balcony, and the room felt more warmer.

Looking to my right, I could see the ocean and the sun rising in the east. Sitting up, I then inhaled deeply, the smell of salt and sea hitting my nose. Reaching over, I grabbed my cell from the night stand set beside the bed. I checked for any unread messages and there wasn't any. But it's 9:35 am. I removed the white comforter from my body and I sat up and glanced back outside.

I could hear the faint sounds of the waves crashing against the shore and sunlight is streaming brightly through the room. I feel safe for some odd reason. Then out of habit, I grab my cell and check already texts. I still have the text from my mom, she texted me at least three days ago. Tapping on her contact info, I sent her a text.

Summer: I had a few people over a few days ago, but I cleaned the house. R u guys having fun?

Looking at the screen, no reply. Just a blank inbox. Locking my cell, I moved to the edge of the bed and my feet met the hard wood flooring. Standing up, I walked back into the hallway and into my room. I grabbed clean clothes from my closet and slipped out of my pajamas. I put on jean shorts and a light colored flannel. I walked slowly out of my room and padded downstairs. I ran my fingers through my hair as and styled my hair into a ponytail as I walked into the kitchen.

"Finally, I've been here for an hour," I heard Romney say as I seated myself at a stool placed by the kitchen island.

Glancing over at him, but I'm surprised to see him wearing black slacks and a blue collar polo. His hair freshly cut and combed to the side and no traces of stubble adorned his jaw.

"What's with the clothes?" I asked.

"Aren't you going to ask how I got into your house?" he asked sarcastically.

I swatted my hand in his direction, "you know where I keep my spare house key. Besides, why are you dressed so nice," I repeated.

Romney shook his head, then turned around and grabbed something from the counter near the stove. I watched as he dropped two plates on the island and slid one of them toward me. Toasted bread and scrambled eggs.

"What's the occasion?" I asked while I shoveled pieces of scrambled egg into my mouth.

"I finally got a job," he mumbled, his mouth stuffed full with toast.

"Thats's great! When'd you'd get hired?" I questioned him excitably.

He chuckled, "a few weeks ago, it's a pretty decent job and the pay is great," he explained and took another bite of his toast.

He then looked at his watch and grabbed his plate and dropped it into the sink, "you gotta go?" I asked.

"Yea," he said and looked up at me.

Reaching out, I mentioned for him to come closer and he did. He dropped his big arm around my shoulders and squeezed me tightly.

"Have a nice day," I teased and lightly punched his arm.

"Whatever Summer!" he yelled and pushed himself away.

I grinned widely, "there will be dinner on the table when you get home, honey!" I called out as he grabbed his keys from the counter.