Chapter 11: Perspective

Chapter 11

Summer's P.O.V.

Again, my eyes wandered back to the white ceiling above me. I stretched my arms above my head and felt the wonderful pulling of sore muscles. I sat up and glanced tirelessly around my room. The sun's rays beamed brightly through out my room and a gleam of sunlight hits my eyes. I shuffled out of bed and closed my curtains, plopped back on my bed and buried myself into my blankets.

"Sweetie, Summer? Are you up?" I heard my mom ask as she entered my room.

I grunted in response and buried my face deeper into my pillows. My bed dipped and I felt my mom's hand on my back.

"Get up, it's nearly afternoon," she commented and laughed softly when I didn't moved.

"I'm up,"I mumbled and turned my head to look at her.

She reached forward and ruffled my hair, "that's not what I meant. You need to get out of bed and get on with the day," she explained and poked my cheek playfully.

"Stop mom," I grumbled and swatted her hand away.

"Summer get up. You're 21, not a teenager," she said seriously.

"I'm up," I mumbled and sat up.

My mom beamed widely at me and ruffled my hair. I groaned in annoyance and attempted to control my bed head.

"Well, I have to go," she stated as she stood up and stepped toward the door.

"Go where?" I asked as I removed the comforter from my body and edged my way off the bed.

"Work, I have an afternoon meeting to attend, but I'll be back by 9:00," she explained and patted out of my room. 

I combed my hair out of my face and followed my mom out of my room. I pounded down the stairs and plopped myself on the couch and flicked on the TV. An old recording of Awkward played loudly on the plasma TV and filled the living room with sound. Jenna Hamiltion's face appeared on the TV screen, her original braid in place. 

"That show is so terrible," my mother commented as she walked passed the TV and grabbed her brief case from the coffee table. 

I dropped my head against the cushions of the couch and grinned in my mom's direction, "it's only because your too old to understand this show," I interjected and laughed at her glare. 

"Shut up!" she gasped in mock horror. 

"Whatever," I say and brought my attention back to the TV.

Mom ruffled my hair and pressed her mouth on top of my head, "see you later and make sure to call," she mumbled and walked toward the front door. 

"Bye mom!" I yelled and watched her open the front door and step outside. 

The door slammed shut and I'm now left with my thoughts and tangled feelings. I fumbled with the remote and fast forward through the commercials. My mind started to lull and I thought about yesterday and Avery's face, her reaction, how she handle her feelings. Her whole demeanor was so calm. I must admit myself, that I was relatively calm and collected. But I can't possibly comprehend how Avery wanted to try whatever or however she implied it. But then again, the look in her eyes didn't deny how she felt about the situation. 

Like she said, "I don't want a relationship."

Avery is willingly to try whatever it is and let the problem at hand play out. I huffed in irritation and those words replayed in my head and I remembered how many times Avery had rephrased that one line. When she had brought that up and those words had escaped from her mouth, I completely exploded inside. I was already accepting the possibility of maybe liking the same sex, but then Avery opened her mouth.