Chapter 10: On My Mind

Chapter 10

Summer's P.O.V.

I stared at my reflection from my cell phone screen. Sorta admiring my facial features. I unlocked my cell and replied to Alex's text.

Alex: How are things with Avery?

Summer: Chill! I haven't seen her around lately.

I watched the text being sent and shook my head. My fingers started to drum nosily against the table and Alex's previous words about Avery, started to play out in my head.

"Well, Avery was that girl," Alex's voice echoed menacingly through my head.

"No, it can't be her," I remember saying, my voice weak with defense.

"...saw that girl on top pf Dillon!" Alex yelled fiercely in my head, "...Avery fucked my boyfriend right in front of me!" Alex hissed vehemently and had walked away at the time.

Alex: ...sure, please tell me something I haven't heard.

Summer: Alex, just let this go already!

My cell buzzed and I snatched my phone back into my hands.

Alex: I can't! She caused the break up! If she had simply left Dillon alone, she wouldn't be in this position!

Summer: Don't blame her, blame me! She had nothing to do with your break up!

Alex: I have every right! And why are taking the blame?!

I didn't know how to reply.

Summer: Idk.

Alex: You don't know!? Do you like this poor excuse of a girl?!

I frowned down at the text and locked my phone and watched the screen turned a blissful black. The drumming of my fingers became annoying and the nosy people surrounding me, became irritating. I reached forward and grabbed my drink and sipped from the straw calmly. Today, is one of the few days I decided that I should leave my parents' house and attempt to be social. Currently, I am sitting outside some small coffee shop, positioned on a corner of a busy street, and enjoying my iced coffee.

The coffee is refreshing and brings blissful goose bumps and cools my over heated body. Suddenly, my cell started to buzzed constantly and I looked down. Alex's name popped up in bright white letters and I reached out, ready to answer.

"Summer?" Avery's voice called out and halted my movements.

I glance up and stared wide eyed at her. Gosh, she looks good. She's finally living up to her old high school reputation. Shorts adorned her lower half, and her legs were long and tanned. A loose tank showed much of her sun kissed skin and sun glasses covered her eyes. And, and, her long blond hair is loose around her shoulders and her bangs pulled back by a clip, much of her face showing.

"Hey, Avery," I spoke back, my voice cracking slightly.

She smiled, "I didn't think I'd see you today," she says conversationally and seats herself at the empty seat directed across from me.

"I should say the same for you," I joked lightly.

She seems quite happy today.

"I haven't seen you lately," she mumbled sheepishly, "but here you are."

I laughed, "here I am," I mocked and my smile broaden.

Avery reached up and slid her sun glasses off her eyes and placed them on top of her head, "are you really drinking coffee right now?" she observed and met my eyes.