Chapter 21: Have I've Found You?

Chapter 21

Summer's P. O. V.

I haven't seen Avery for days and it's bothering me more than it should. She hasn't even been showing up and watching me practice anymore.

Once I finished my set, I dragged myself out of the pool and strode toward my duffel bag and dry towel. But, from the corner of my eyes, I could see my coach standing and conversing quite freely with a man beside him. Gripping my towel, I continued to watch the two as I dried my damped hair. Suddenly, the stranger's eyes swung toward me and I flinched and stared else where.

In a quick haste, I grabbed my duffel bag and quicken my paste toward the locker room.

Stepping outside in the crisp winter air, I adjusted the strap to my bag and took off in the direction of my dorms.

"Summer! Wait up!" My coach called from behind me.

"Yea, Harris?" I answered back and faced his direction.

"Your dad finally did it! The man I was talking to, is a scout from the USA Olympic swim team!" My coach squealed in excitement.

"What?!" I yelled.

"Yes! I'm so happy for you! He seemed real excited to see more of your swimming too!" Harris gasped and place his hands on my shoulders.

"When? How?" I uttered.

"I don't know how, but he showed up today and completely unannounced," Harris explained.

"I don't know how to react."

"Don't, just be happy it finally happened," Harris said and dropped his hands from my shoulders.

"Well, go call your dad. Tell him about today and get some rest. The scout wants to see you first thing tomorrow morning," Harris stated and grinned wildly at my flabbergasted expression.

"Okay. See ya tomorrow."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't pop a lid on my excitement and I nearly ran toward Avery's dorm. My bag thudded against my back as I made a brisk jog toward the dorms. Taking steps two at a time, I pounded my fist against the door and impatiently waited for someone to answer. Finally, the door creaked open and I peered inside.

"Avery? Is that you?" I called out.

"Yea," she mumbled as she opened the door and slowly rubbed her eyes.

A lavish grin stretched across my face and I grasped Avery and pulled her in a tight embrace.

"It's early," she groaned against my shoulder, but quickly returned the hug.

"It finally happened!" I gasped and my zeal reached new heights, solely because I got to share this with Avery.

"What?" she asked and pulled back to stare at me.

"I'm being scouted for the Olympic team!"

"Serious?" she nearly wheezed and gazed wide eyed at me.

My grinned broaden and Avery's face became a blurry watery mess. She reached forward and swiped her fingers underneath my eyes. Grasping her forearms, I pressed my forehead against her's and I just smiled.

"Wow," she breathed, "I'm dating an Olympic athlete," she muttered and she bashfully grinned.

"No yet, I still have to impress the scout and place a certain time during the trails and than there's that..." I rambled on, but stopped and my cheeks started to hurt from smiling.