Chapter 19: Don't You Worry, I'll Be Fine

Chapter 19

Summer's P. O. V.

"You need to end it!" My dad's voice boomed as he followed me to my room.

"Everything is fine," I replied calmly.

"No, it's not. She's a distraction!"

I slammed my hands onto a dresser, "she isn't! What would make you think that?!" I yelled.

"Summer, looked what happened between you and Alex! It's bound to happen to you and Avery!" He shouted and pointed an accusatory finger in my direction.

I stayed quiet and slumped my body against the dresser and sighed, "it's different. She's different," is all I could say.

"Summer...I'm not trying to ruin your life, but I think it's best that you end your relations with Avery."

"Fuck you," I mumbled.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm tired of you trying to figure out my life! I'm 21 for fuck sake!" I argued with him and pushed away from the dresser.

"Trust me, I'm not! But if you want to ruin your career in swimming..."

"Stop gaslighting me! I know what I have to do!"

"Then get your shit together, Summer! You need to prioritize right now!" He demanded and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Get out! I hate you! Every time and I just can't handle it!"

"You're throwing away a perfectly good life for one person!" he screamed at and angrily walked out of my room.

I sighed and I buried my face into my hands. This is what I had to deal with. My dad constantly yelling at me to get shit done. I've always listened to him and argued back at him, but he's just too controlling.

But he seems to be doing it more. Because I'm dating Avery and he doesn't like it. He absolutely despises when anything gets in his way. I dropped my back, back against the dresser and stared at my room.

It's empty again, just like the first day I got here.

Several boxes are already closed, pictures were removed from their spots on the wall, my computer tucked away, and that's all. My room alone was already generic: just a bed, white walls, wide windows, and a few good memories. Otherwise, I traveled light.

------

I fell into a likable routine with Avery. School had started up and I'm swamped with classes, a part time job, and training. I barely see Avery, but I make time to visit her.

During practice, I was surprised to see Avery as I climbed out of the pool and had retreated to my stuff. She's sitting comfortably on the bleachers, a huge smile planted on her face. I returned the smile and quicken my pace toward her.

"Hey," I greeted and grasped my towel that's placed on top of my duffel bag.

"Hi," she breathed out.

"What made you come here?" I asked as I sat down next to her.

She shrugged, "I had to ask where the pool was and here I am," she explained.

I laughed and ruffled my hair with the towel and looked back toward the pool. My teammates were throwing curious glances my way, but none of them made no movement to approach us.

"You looked great out there," Avery complimented and touched my arm.

I snapped my eyes back toward her and let my towel drop around my shoulders.