PROMPT 30 | peter parker

PROMPT #30: "so that's it? it's over?"

Y/n paced around her small apartment, her phone in her hand as she waited. Her mind was racing with thoughts, concern was etched on her face as she waited.

She tried to take her mind away from her thoughts, as she occupied herself by watching tv, reading her favorite book, yet nothing seemed to be working as she came back to worrying. And waiting.

It seemed it was the only thing she was good at, nowadays. Waiting.

Peter Parker had promised to meet at her apartment at 6:30pm.

It was 2:30am. And he never showed up.

So now, here she was, waiting until she got a confirmation, or a text back from him but nothing came up. Not a single beep from her phone. It's as if the world had shut itself off.

At 6:45pm she was okay. She thought, 'maybe he's just running a little late.'

At 7:30pm she dismissed any thoughts of him not coming. Maybe there was traffic, but even Peter could get by that, considering he had his suit with him at all times, and getting somewhere would only take a matter of minutes.

At 8:30pm she felt concerned. Maybe there was some spider business to take care of and he's stuck in that. He would be coming though, right?

At 10:00pm she felt disappointed. He bailed. Again.

At 12:30am she felt angry.

At 2:00am she was concerned.

And now, here she was. Waiting.

It seemed like time was against her, as the clock moved slower than usual.

It was now 3:00am. And the doorknob was turning.

Y/n turned on her heels so fast, she felt like she almost fell, but regained her composure before flinging her arms over Peter's shoulders, embracing his body as he stood, motionless.

When he didn't return the hug, she let go, looking at Peter with concern before seeing his eyes starting to water.

"Y/n, we need to talk."

She never liked hearing those words.

This had happened before. She had heard these words before and now, she was hearing them again.

"No, Peter, this isn't happening again."

"I'm sorry. I don't to put you into danger, and that's the first thing I did when I asked you to be my girlfriend. I'm already putting you in danger by dating you and I don't want to hurt you anymore."

"Peter, I'm fine! I'm standing, I'm breathing, I'm here! I'm not dead, Peter!"

"But what if I wake up tomorrow and the Vulture escaped prison and he gets you? What if he has you over a building and I don't get there in time and he drops you? I don't want that to happen!"

"But Peter, those are all what if's. That might not happen!"

"I don't want to risk it."

"Peter you're not being rational! I love you!"

"I love you too. But I don't want you to be in any danger than you already are."

"So that's it? It's over?"

"I'm sorry, y/n."

Y/n sighed, turning her back on Peter, not wanting him to see her cry as she wrapped her arms around her torso.

"Peter, leave."

"What?"

"Get out."

Peter hesitated, tears now streaming down his face before he turned, his hand on the doorknob. He couldn't turn the knob. Instead, he turned back to her, a sad expression on his face.

"I love you."

"Get out!"

Without another word, Peter left, y/n now collapsing on the ground, her arms giving her comfort and warmth as she cried.

Unbeknownst to her, Peter was sitting down, his back to her door, as he cried, his arms wrapped around his torso.