UNMASKED (p2) | peter parker

Peter had stayed by your side through everything.

He never left you, hoping that one day, you would wake up.

Two weeks ago, you had both been engaging in a fight with the Avengers under Loki's control. During the battle, you had gotten seriously hurt, not to mention, had developed a big mastery bruise around your neck after Steve almost choked you to death.

Steve had managed to slip the mask off your face, revealing to Peter Parker who you were.

That night was his worst nightmare.

Ever since you had joined Midtown High, Peter had developed a crush on you. A far away crush, seeing as your group of friends was a little different to his.

You tended to be a little more popular, having more than 10 friends (which irritated you), and also having almost the whole world's attention on you.

Since the first day, boys had tried their best to win over your heat, whether it was trough a dedicated song, a intricate dinner, a trip to the amusement park, or a walk along the beach, you always seemed to be surprised in the morning.

Everyday was a new boy, but none of them were the one you wanted.

The one you wanted would always sit with his two best friends, Ned and Michelle. He would constantly be engaged in conversations surrounding Star Wars, an Internship at Stark Tower, and admitting their feelings to their crushes.

There was always something.. off about him ever since you met him.

And, of course, ever since you walked into school, Peter realized there was something.. off about you too.

The way both of you carried your confidence, letting your confidence slip through your masks as you talked to friends or classmates.

You were known as the popular girl.

Peter was known as the science geek.

You were polar opposites in everyone's eyes.

Yet, deep beneath the surface of your skin, you were perfect for each other.

And, once again, you would never admit it. Neither of you would admit it.

"Hi, y/n. It's Peter. Uh, Mr. Stark said that talking to you might help you react to realizing you are in a coma and might help bring you back sooner. So, uh, i thought I'd give it a try."

A sigh escaped from Peter's lips as he buried his face in his hands, rubbing the sleep from his eyes once again, before looking up at your frail body, covered only by a thin sheet of clothing.

"Uh, it's been 2 weeks since we tried to stop the Avengers from killings us. It's been 2 weeks since Captain America almost choked you to death. It's been 2 weeks since I realized I was going to live my worst nightmare for a good amount of time."

Uberlnown to Peter, the Avengers were listening from the control room 2 floors down. They watched the camera as it was directly watching both of you, your body lying on the bed and Peter sitting down in a chair right next to you, elbows leaning on the bed.

Natasha was the first to break down, as she watched Peter confess his thoughts to you, someone who she knew he might never see again. She broke down once she realized that she had lost another woman on the team, and she couldn't have stopped it. She broke down once she realized the reason she was in the coma, was because of her.

Steve was next, as he reminisced all the little things in Peter's body language with you. He remembered what true love was like and how you could tell it was there. He broke down once he realized that Peter was doing something he never did: confessing. He broke down once he realized that part of the reason you were in a coma, was because of him.

Tony was after. He couldn't hold it in anymore. He had watched you grow up, before Peter was even Spider-Man. He watched you train harder than any other agent and always pushing your body to its limit. Even if you felt like collapsing, you always kept going, because the reward was better once you realized you had earned it. He remembers when you told him about your powers, how you woke up one night with the ability to climb walls and listen in to conversations from a floor above. How your senses were suddenly dialed to 11, and how you wanted something that would just help you focus because there was just too much input.

He remembers.

And he regrets the lost time he threw away.

2 months had passed.

You were still lying on the bed.

Tony had rung Peter, telling him he needed to get to headquarters immediately, and within minutes, he swung in through an open window.

"What's wrong?"

"Go and see for yourself."

Peter was confused at Tony's request, but obliged, as he walked towards your room door, eyes watching his every step, making sure that he was quiet.

His feet were only inches away from the door, as he reached forward, his fingers grazing the door before lightly pushing it open.

At the sight, Peter smiled.

And then, he cried.

You were awake.

You were alive.

And you were crying.

You had jumped off the bed, much to Natasha's protests, as you stumbled trying to walk to Peter, before he opened his arms and invited you into his embrace.

There was a certain familiar scent to him, as you realized he smelled like the crisp Queens air, the same one you smelled like after swinging from building to building every day.

Your mind had been blank before Peter walked in, you couldn't remember anything, not even your own name. You only spoke one language and it was making Natasha more impatient by the second.

But as soon as both of you locked eye contact, everything came flooding back to you. The first day at school, meeting Peter, finding your friends, realizing your crush on a certain brunette, training with your new powers, making yourself a suit, applying a name for yourself, finding a partner amongst the fan base, and the fight.

Dying that flashback, you connected two puzzle pieces.

The reason Peter had stayed with you and had figured out that you were hurt, was because he was Spider-Man.

And he had saved you.

He was always throwing himself in front of you, taking the blame for anything and everything, getting into a fight, getting bullied, and getting his powers. They were all about making him learn. Making him lose and making him suffer.

But you were the biggest lesson of them all.

You taught Peter how to love after his uncle died.

You taught Peter how to forgive himself after his uncle died.

You taught Peter how to love himself, after he saw you showing confidence in school and standing up for yourself, despite the rumors of you being with every guy at school.

You taught Peter how to forgive others for their mistakes.

You taught Peter how to love and appreciate others.

You taught Peter how to be himself.

But most of all,

You taught Peter how to be confident.

And without you,

God knows where he'd be.