Chapter 18- Look Up At The Sky, That's Where He Is

I awoke the next morning, sitting on top of Cody in the same chair. I noticed there was a blanket on top of us now, Alli or Sam must have gotten it for us. SAM? What was he doing still here? I heard him and Alli talking in the kitchen, but couldn't make out the words. I sat up a little and looked up at Cody. Yep. He was still asleep. I stayed as still as possible, so I wouldn't wake him.

 Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
Part of me believing it was always something that I'd done
But I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word-

     My phone rang. "Shit." I whispered.

Me: Yolo? Damn it, you almost woke Cody up.

Person: Your lucky I'm giving you an extra day.

                  *click*

     "It's fine Babe, I was already up, even before you." Cody told me. "Who was that?" I shook my head. "I-i-i don't know." I tried calming my self down by taking a deep breath. "What did they say?" He asked me. "They said, 'Your lucky I'm giving you an extra day.' Cody I'm freaked out." I told Cody, He sighed. "I'm tired of this bullshit. We are taking you to get a new number, today." He said. "Good idea." I sighed too. I snuggled my head into his shoulder and closed my eyes and sighed.

     Cody lifted my head and started to move his closer. "COOOOOOODYYYYY!" Tom came runnig down the steps screaming, just as we were about to kiss. We both sighed and pulled away. "Yes, Tom?" Cody asked slightly annoyed. "Make Buddy wake up." Cody looked at me confused. "What do you mean by 'make Buddy wake up'?" Cody asked him. "He's sleeping, and he won't wake up. He hasn't moved at all since I woke up." Tom said completely oblivious. Cody looked white. "Wh-where is he?" Cody stuttered. "In the hallway." Tommy replied. Cody jumped up and ran up the steps 3 at a time with in 5 seconds. I was sitting next to the chair. My butt kinda hurt since I was sitting on Cody and he jumped out from under me, I landed on the ground.

      "Sophia, get my mom!" Cody screamed panicked. I ran into the kitchen. "Good morning Sophia, woul-" I cut her off. "Cody needs you. Now. He's upstairs in the hallway hurry." I told her. And I ran out of the room and up the steps and keeled down in the hallway next to Cody. I rubbed circles on his back, I heard Angie walking up the steps. Cody was holding Buddy and staring into the distance. "He's gone." Cody whispered back after a few seconds. I continued to rub his back, and he leaned his head on my shoulder. Angie was now walking towards us. I could still hear Alli and Sam talking in the kitchen. I could tell Cody was holding back tears.

     "Whats going on?" Angie asked confused, standing right in front of us. Then Angie must've saw Buddy. "Oh my Cody, I'm so sorry. Let me call the vet." Angie exclaimed, I could hear her crying. She walked back down stairs, I assumed she told Alli cause then I heard her sobbing. Angie was on the phone so Sam must've calmed her down. I continued to stare into the distance. After a long silence Cody finally broke it, "How am I going to tell Tom this?" Cody asked concerned. I waited a moment to reply. "I will tell him for you if you would like me to." I offered. "That would be great." I could feel his smile on my shoulder. "OK, I'll go now." Cody lifted his head of my shoulder and kissed my cheek. I got up and stretched. Then walked to Tom's room.

     I knocked the door. "Tommy?" I listened for a response. I heard footsteps, then the door open. "Hi Sophia!" His face lite up. "Hi Tommy." I walked in and sat on his bed. "Come here." I said as I patted the bed next to me. Tom walked over and sat down. "I need to talk to you." I told him. "OK." Tommy looked so innocent. I took a deep breath. "Here we go." I whispered to myself. "You know how Buddy wasn't moving earlier?" I asked him. Tommy nodded. "Well, it was his time to move on and go to a better place." I held my breath. "Look up at the sky." I told Tom, and he did so. "That is where Buddy will be watching you from now on. You may not always see him, but he will always see you." I said hoping it didn't sound too childish. "So your saying I won't be able to hold, pet or walk Buddy? Ever again?" Tom asked me in a very small voice. I nodded. He started to sob. I took Tom in my arms and held him close to me and I rubbed circles on his back. "Just cry Tommy. It helps." I whispered into his ear.