Him.

Note: The "he" that is being mentioned in this chapter will not be revealed until the next chapter!

"Stop. Do not try to intervene." I closed my eyes and turned my back to her. I could smell the salt from her tears, so I knew she was crying. "It is not that you are not wanted. You must stay."

I heard a gasp as I walked away. I presumed that she did not expect to hear something like that escape my mouth. Usually, I would not let someone convince me to show any sort of interest.

Yet, for some reason -- she was an exception.

----------

Kanoske's P.O.V.

"Master Jaken," I said loudly, so that he could hear. He turned his head to the side and looked back at me as he sat upon my shoulders -- seeming surprised that I would even call him 'master'. I understood why, though. I only called him master if it were by accident, which were my usual cases. But ever since Sesshomaru had told me to stay, any anger or hard feelings I had with myself or anyone else kind of vanished. I guess all I really wanted to hear was to be told that I could stay. I was no longer upset. In fact, the weight that had bummed on my shoulders and chest those last couple of days were completely gone.

It was noticable too. Rin and I spent so much more time together than we did. While Master Jaken rode on my shoulder in his usual spot, Rin found herself being carried by me often. Was this what happiness was like? Because if it was, I would have wanted it to be that way forever.

"What?" Jaken said, not sounding too rude. He was always too stubborn to admit that he had a soft side, let alone even liked anyone. But it was completely obvious he had a soft spot for Rin and I. Rin more than either of us because she had been traveling with Lord Sesshomaru the longest.

"Do you like me being here?" I asked with a smile. I saw him grumble as he lifted his staff up to hit me gently on the forehead. He muttered something alone the lines of 'stupid girl' and I just laughed. I wanted to see his reaction.

"Hey, Kanoske." Rin called as she rode upon my back, me giving her a piggyback ride. "I like how much you've changed emotionally. You seem so much happier now!" She was so chipper, as always. It had only been a couple of days since I snapped at Rin. I was surprised she wasn't scared of me at all. She was a strong girl.

"I'm glad, Rin." I giggled and smiled even brighter. My life seemed so complete and I didn't have a care in the world. I think Sesshomaru noticed as well, because he would occasionally look back at me. Of course, he held no emotion in his eyes, but who could blame the guy? If he smiled, it was the most terrifying thing in the world.

"Kanoske." Speak of the devil. Sesshomaru stopped where he was walking and turned toward me. I blinked and tilted my head in confusion. "Yes my lord?"

---------

Sesshomaru's P.O.V.

She didn't smell it. Kanoske's eyes were completely full of confusion when I called her name. Could she really not tell? 

He was coming. His aura was completely different than that of what it was when we had first encountered each other. It was a lot deadlier, and I knew that if Kanoske saw him, she wouldn't be able to contain her emotions. She would try to reason with him.

I didn't want her to know that the reason I told her to stay was because her village was attacked. I supposed it was a good thing that her sense of smell was not all that sharp, because the smell of blood was very faint that day. I could just imagine the look on her face if she saw him, standing in front of her with her father's blood covering his clothing.

Her father was not dead though. I smelled him running away from the scene. But what of the other villagers? I could care less, but if Kanoske were to find out that he had done this, she would surely snap and completely lose her senses. She had already lost her mother, and it would be troublesome towards her if she realized that her father could possibly be dead. I couldn't believe that I was even considering sparing the feelings of this woman.

"You and Rin and go." I said simply. There shouldn't have been a reason to explain myself, and it seemed that Kanoske understood completely. I looked over to Jaken who was plopped comfortably on Kanoske's shoulder and narrowed my eyes. "Jaken, let's go."

"What is it, m'lord? A threat?" Jaken asked quizzickly. I did not reply, as I looked up and watched Kanoske take Rin on her back and flee. Hopefully she would be out of range of hearing. I noticed that her hearing had improved as well as her eyesight, so hopefully it wouldn't be too close so she could hear him.

When I first met him, he seemed so calm and collected. There was no way that man could hurt a fly. Though he was weak emotionally for that, I believed he was strong as an opponent. I hadn't battled him though.

Kanoske and him shared a bond -- that was obvious enough. But because of that, I knew I could not kill him. His aura was so much more tainted. He was miles away, yet I could smell every drop of blood on him and feel his demonic aura. It was impressive.

I watched to make sure the girls were at least far enough away enough to not be able to hear us from a human range, and turned my body. "Grab on." I ordered Jaken. He was confused, but he did it. 

In just a few seconds, I was in front of him. His eyes made it completely clear.

He was a completely different person.