The Red String of Fate

"Now, Kanoske -- this marriage has to be mutual, so you must grip Sesshomaru's hands as he is gripping your own."

"Hmph," I let out and turned my head, gripping his hand a little. I face stung more and I knew I was turning red.

"Great! Now, let us begin."

-----------

Jaken's P.O.V.

As much as I hated the idea of Lord Sesshomaru marrying such a vile and disgusting woman such as Kanoske, I could not complain for I feared for my life. Besides, the idea of Lord Sesshomaru getting married in the future to someone he might actually love is completely out of the question. M'lord did not feel love, nor did he even believe in the concept. Yet, I felt like my lord was easier on this demon wench than he was me! His own servant!

We were in this huge hut that stood in the middle of the village. It was very big on this inside almost as it was on the outside. The inside consisted of traditional japanese mats on the floor with small, low tea tables in between each set of four. There were about ten table mat areas lined up until we reached the front of the hut, were a priest named Honto sat. 

Apparently, Honto had serviced Kanoske's mother and father in their marriage, so I was assuming Lord Sesshomaru had spoke with him during sometime that he was away and told him about their situation. Why my lord even agreed to marry Kanoske, I will never know.

Honto motioned Kanoske and Sesshomaru to sit in front of them, which they did. The incense in the room that burned next to the priest was strong, yet almost overbearing. It was bothering my nose. The two girls didn't seem to be affected by it though.

I had been wondering why Kanoske didn't have the normal abilities that Lord Sesshomaru or even Inuyasha had. She had no strong sense of smell, her vision was that of a normal human, and her hearing was just about as good as Rin's. It plagued my mind, because Kanoske is a full demon consisting of two canine demons, shouldn't she be more than equipped with those abilities?

I stared at the girl as Rin and I took a seat not too far away from them. She even looked like a mere human. Could it have been that she did not have the knowledge to change into a regular demon form, such as my lord? She obviously transformed before when she first struck my lord, but that looked like a measely transformation that could easily be defeated by even Inuyasha himself.

"If you could take each other's hands," the priest cheerfully clapped his hands together as what seemed like sparkles surrounded his face. I saw Kanoske flinch, faceplant into the floor and then stand up, her hands balled into fists and behind held to her chest. Her face was obviously red.

"Are you seriously going to expect Sesshomaru of all people to take my hand? The man can't even give me a second glance let alone---" 

What was this? My lord had grabbed Kanoske's hand and pulled her down back onto the mat next to him. She even looked surprised as I did, even Rin had a look of surprise on her face.

Lord Sesshomaru's face stayed forward and his gaze ever so emotionless. He quickly assured the girl, "Don't think anything of it." And then went silent again except for Rin's obnoxious giggles. 

"Now, Kanoske -- this marriage has to be mutual, so you must grip Sesshomaru's hand as he is gripping your own. 

I heard the ungrateful hag let out a 'hmph', as she turned her head to the opposite side of my lord's and gripped his hand.

"Great! Now let us begin!" Honto shouted. He blew out the candles behind him but left the candles and incense next to him burning. His bald head reflected the lights of the candles as he seemed to be praying.

"I bring ye two together, Lord Sesshomaru and Lady Kanoske, as one. Ye both must pledge your solom loyalty to one another and ye must never leave each other's side, even in the hardest times." I saw him open his eyes, causing to make Kanoske flinch. Not too noticibly, though. Her nervousness was completely noticable though.

Honto looked to my Lord Sesshomaru and placed his hand on my lord's shoulder. "Ye, Sesshomaru, must protect the lady that you are wedding at all costs. Ye must make sure that she is never fatally harmed and that she lives and prospers happily." Honto then turned to Kanoske and held his hand out and placed it on her shoulder. "Ye, Kanoske, must show dedication and loyalty to your betrothed. Ye must live with a pure and clean heart, and try to live with no worries. Ye must leave the past behind you and allow ye-self to open up a better, brighter future for yeself and ye beloved."

For a second, I thought I saw sadness creep into Kanoske's eyes. I wonder what that woman could have been thinking, how getting wed to Lord Sesshomaru must feel like, especially if they don't love each other.

Honto laid both of his hands on top of their hands that were together and bowed his head to where he was a crouching like position. "And most importantly, ye both must love each other and nurture each other to the most extent. Ye must never betray one another purposely.  Ye must be happy with one another." The sadness flickered in her eyes once more, but this time it stayed.

The priest lifted his head as a bright purple light formed where his and they're hands were. I saw as Kanoske and Lord Sesshomaru's eyes grew wide and the light faded away. Honto released their hands, and Rin and I stared in awe.

Kanoske was the first to life her hand, followed by my lord. for a brief moment, a red string that was tired to each of their pinkies glew brilliantly, and then faded away.

Rin smiled and I turned to her.

"What are you smiling about Rin?"

"Do you know what that was Master Jaken?" She said, turning to me. I shook my head vigorously.

"No, what whas it?"

"Master Jaken, that was the Red String of Fate." Her smile got brighter.

"What does that mean, silly girl?"

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet; regardless of time, place, or circumstance.The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."

I stared at her for a brief moment and then back to the front where the priest, my lord and Kanoske sat. Kanoske still stared in awe at their pinkies, the priest looked overjoyed, and my lord...well... looked like my lord.

Could it really be true?

-----------------------

Author's Note - Hey guys, Euphy here. Sorry if this one was a bit shorter than all the other ones. It's like 1 am here and I usually go to bed pretty early. I was starting to get tired. Anyway, leave a comment or a favorite if you liked it. I would really appreciate it. I might start putting pictures up. Thank you guys for reading, and I'll update soon!