Chapter - 54

TWO DAYS LATER:

“Don’t laugh, Elle,” Mayla hissed as she scooted closer to me on the wooden bench. “This is not funny...” Mayla muttered for just me to hear.

I couldn’t hold it in. Soon, my laughter filled the small room I was seated in. My voice ricocheted off the concrete walls and through the cracks of the metal bars beside me. I’d no idea why I was laughing so hard, but I just couldn’t stop as I found the situation Mayla and I were in to be hilarious.

“I hear someone coming down the hall. Be quiet,” Mayla stated as she jabbed her elbow into my side.

Her demand was useless; I couldn’t stop for I found some wicked sense of humor in the fact that I, Elle Sunny White, have been arrested for public intoxication, and not to mention my smart ass mouth...

***

ONE DAY EARLIER:

***

“It has been one day, Elle. I think we should go to the police,” Mayla stated as she entered the living room.

We were currently over at Bryson’s awaiting his arrival, which we both had been hoping was any moment. Yet, as seconds turned into minutes that turned to hours we started to lose hope that he was coming back home - or that he was even safe.

Shaking my head, I gripped the warm mug tighter. “No, let’s give him a few more hours. He will show,” I tried convincing myself more than Mayla.

She rolled her eyes, “It has been a day, Elle. We need to report him missing to the police. The sooner the better.”

I was about to object, again, when my phone went off. My heart literally skipped a few beats, thinking it was Bryson. I quickly set my coffee down and dashed over to my phone which was on the small table by the front door. I frowned at the caller I.D. “Hey, Mom.” I greeted as I answered the call.

“Elle, where are you? You didn’t come home last night.” Mother said in a panicked voice. “You didn’t even call me.”

I sighed, “Sorry, I ... I spent the night at a friend’s house. I will probably be staying here another night," I stated vaguely, for I didn't want to tell Mom that Bryson was missing and that I was at his house. She would without a doubt throw a whirlwind of questions at me, leaving me on the phone with her for hours.

Mother released an exhale, “Okay ... I wish you would have called me. I nearly stormed the whole city looking for you...”

“I’m sorry, I should have called,” I admitted while knowing damn well she was worried and up half the night waiting for me.

“Just don’t do it again ... Oh, I figured you’d want to know. Tomorrow morning Peter is being discharged.”

I smiled at the fact that he was getting out, finally, “Great! I bet he is happy, yesterday I could tell that he wanted to leave.”

“Oh yeah, when he told me he was getting released tomorrow, I could hear it in his voice - He’s ready to come home ... Hey, when did you bring your car back over here?”

I furrowed my eyebrows, “My car?”

“Yeah, it’s in the driveway. Though, I would like to know, why do you have a big red bow on the car?”

My lips twitched up into a bright smile, “Oh, I-I thought it looked cool. Hey, listen, I gotta go. Love you, bye!” With that said I hung up on my mom. “Well,” I stated in happiness as I turned to face Mayla with a wide smile. “We can now officially rule out that Bryson was kidnapped.”