Chapter - 22

“I remember something,” I stated out loud as Bryson drove down unfamiliar roads to only gosh knows where. Yet, as I sat securely in the passenger’s seat, our destination was far from my thoughts. Looking over at Bryson, I could tell by the way he was glancing periodically at me in the corner of his eye that I had gotten his attention. “It is not a memory that I’ve loss from my accident ... but instead it is something I’ve not realized until we were in the church just a while ago...” I knew I was being vague and lying (sorta), but I was just trying to word everything right in my head. However, I knew no matter how long I took to formulate how I was going to speak to him, it would come out bluntly and uncharismatic.

“What is it?” Bryson asked.

“You and I ... we weren’t friends growing up,” I proclaimed as I studied him to see his reaction.

He gave a bob of his head as his eyes stayed focused on the road before him. “No, we weren’t.” The words that came out of his mouth were expected. It was getting humorous how I could almost always tell what he was going to say next ... but, I had to admit, it worked to my advantage at times like this.

“What changed? What happened that turned us from enemies to lovers?” I questioned.

Bryson pulled up to a medium sized white building that had a sign in the front reading ‘Bacon Grill’. Pulling the mustang into one of the many available spots, Bryson gave a deep chuckle. “I wouldn’t call us lovers, per se.”

Unbuckling, I found myself raising an eyebrow. “Why? Did we not kiss? ... Wait, don’t tell me that the kiss in the bathroom was our first kiss!”

Bryson shook his head and looked at me with humor glinting in his mint green eyes. “No, that wasn’t our first kiss, Elle. We kissed a lot ... well, you kissed me a lot,” he smiled teasingly.

Rolling my eyes I spoke, “I don’t believe that I was the one to kiss you. Just by what I’ve learned about you in the past few days, I see it the other way around. Thinking about it some more, I bet you couldn’t keep your hands off me,” I proclaimed with a wild grin.

It was Bryson’s turn to roll his eyes. “Think what you will Elle, but you were the one that couldn’t stop touching me.”

I elbowed Bryson on the chest before speaking up. “Did not!”

“See, you still can’t stop touching me! I knew the old Elle was in there,” he joked before getting out of the car.

Getting out too, I closed the passenger door. “So, really, what made our relationship change?” I asked when I reached Bryson at the restaurant's entrance.

“It changed when I tricked you into going on a date with me. I really don't know how I did it, but I did. Our first date was ... errr ... great ... we, uhhh, hit it off.”

“You promised me a redo of our first date,” I reminded him.

“Yeah, I know I did. I just think it will be best to do it the day after tomorrow.”

I corked an eyebrow. “Why?”

“Tomorrow we have to go to Randall’s funeral and I figured you wouldn’t want to do much after it.”

I looked down at the concrete ground. “You’re right. I probably won’t.”

“You ... okay?”

I glanced up at him and forced a smile on my face. “Yeah.”

“...Ummm ... we should probably go in now.” That was all Bryson said before walking in the restaurant, evidently expecting me to follow, which I did.