Chapter - 16

"The South End Mall?” I said with slight shock laced in my voice. Honestly, I had no idea what Bryson had up his sleeve, but I didn't consider a mall. However, now that I plundered on it for a second longer it made sense to come to the mall. I can get some food and clothes all right here: killing two birds with one stone, for lack of a better analogy.

“Yep, it is not as big and grand like East Side Mall that is a town over, but this is closer and it will get the job done.” Bryson told me as he parked the car in a spot that was about fifty feet from the main entrance.

Looking over at Bryson I gave a sly smile, “it is raining,” I stated.

Turning off the car, Bryson glanced over at me, “really? Couldn’t tell,” he proclaimed as he shut off the windshield wipers that were vigorously swiping from one side of the windshield to the other.

Giggling at him, I smiled even wider. “Did you bring an umbrella?” I questioned for the second time tonight.

Shaking his head, Bryson cut off the headlights and pulled the keys out of the ignition. “Nope. We will just have to make a mad dash inside.”

With a roll of my eyes, I thought about the excitement of running out in the rain and racing to the front doors of the mall. It sounded like a rush.

Unlocking my door, I looked over at Bryson as my hand clamped down on the door handle. “Last one to reach the entrance of the mall has to sing the winner’s choice of a song in the middle of the mall,” I challenged.

Before Bryson could agree or disagree, I opened my door and smiled the second the cool rain cascaded down on me.

My moment of happiness dwindled as I heard Bryson open his door. Deciding I could not spin around and enjoy the rain, I shut my passenger door and started to take off towards the mall.

The distance between me and the doors was becoming smaller and smaller. The closer I got the more I felt confident that I was going to win. However, soon I saw Bryson running right beside me. “Please tell me you don’t call that running?” He joked before racing forward.

With a deep frown I watched Bryson gain a leg ahead of me and in horror I saw him reach the front doors, throw me a wink and walk in.

Grunting, I slowed my pace for I had already lost. Upon trudging into the mall, I saw Bryson waiting for me a few feet from the doors by a forest green garbage can. Glaring at the victorious smirking Bryson, I walked past him and told myself that I would – attempt to -- ignore him...

“Oh, come on Elle, it is not your fault that you can’t remember that I was the Captain of the Soccer and Track team.” Bryson informed me as he walked over and started to stroll beside me. “If it makes you feel better, I will not make you sing in the middle of the mall.”

Shaking my head, I decided to speak. “No, I will sing. It was a semi-official deal I made with you. I keep my end of deals,” I exclaimed with a stern look.

Suddenly Bryson’s face lost color and he looked seconds from being sick.

“Are you okay?” I questioned with worry as I feared that he was getting ill. I halted my steps and placed my left hand on his right shoulder in order to stop him from walking away from me.

Clearing his throat Bryson nodded at me, “I’m fine ... but ... Elle ... can you promise me something?” Bryson asked.

“Uhhh, maybe. What is it?” I inquired as I removed my hand from his shoulder.

Rubbing the back of his neck with his left hand Bryson shifted his weight from one foot to the other. “If you get any of your memory back ... about me ... tell me. No matter how you feel, tell me because I want ... I want to help you work out ... certain things...”