Chapter - 9

My back was facing my parents as they talked amongst themselves. I knew they thought I was asleep, and for that I was glad. I'd been stuck in the hospital for three days. Every single day has ended with the doctors feeding me bits and pieces of my 'condition' and what's going on with me. 

I now know that they all think I'm eighteen and am college bound. However, I can't seem to wrap my brain around their train of thought. In my mind, I was thirteen, in sixth grade, and just fell out of a treehouse...

"She needs help, Brinda. I know a good psychiatric ward a few towns over-" I heard my father say in a tone, just above a whisper.

Mother cut him off with a loud gasp. "You can't be serious, Walker! You think, Elle, should go to a psychiatric ward? She has memory loss, not some other kind of mental illness a psychiatric ward helps with ... She needs familiar people, Walker. Not strangers in white scrubs and padded rooms." My mother's voice cracked towards the end and I knew that she was on the verge of crying her eyes out, again.

"Have you told her about Peter? Have you told her about Kat and Randall?" My dad asked with a slightly raised voice.

Turning over in my bed to face them, I furrowed my eyebrows. No one in the past three days had said one word about Peter or Randall. It was then that I realized that none of them had come and visited me. That was odd behavior for Randall to not come visit or call me. We had a habit of making sure we at least talk to each other every day.

Plus, even though Peter and I fight all the time, he never leaves my side when I'm sick or in trouble. "What about Peter and Randall?" Because I'd hardly said any words in the past few days, my question came off in a raspy tone.

My mother looked at me. "What did you say, Honey?" She inquired as she got off the couch and walked over to me. The moment she reached me she reached out and touched my hair. My mother started to run her fingers through my hair, in a calming manner. 

I knew her actions only meant one thing: that she was hiding something from me.

"Where are Peter and Randall?" I choked out.

Father strolled over to me. Instead of standing next to my mom, he stood at the end of my bed – clearly being distant. That was one of the many things I was picking up on recently. 

I could tell that because he was being distant, I had done something to anger him. My theory proved correct when I looked into his eyes and saw a flame of anger twinkling. 

Also, I noted that he isn't as close to my mom as I last remembered... "Elle," my dad began. "Peter, Randall, and Kat were in the car with you," he stated with no emotion.

I arched an eyebrow at a name he spoke of, "Kat? The new girl at school?"

Continuing to run her hand through my blond locks, my mother shook her head. "Honey, Kat is your best friend, along with Randall. You and Kat have been friends since the sixth grade when she transferred to your school."

I gulped, thinking that Randall and I's pinkie promise really did break. Kat did end up worming her way into our friendship and for a second I was upset. However, every thought stopped when I realized my father said they were in the car with me. "What happened to them?"

"Peter is fine," Mother began to say but Father cut her off.

"Don't lie to the girl! Peter is comatose. Randall and Kat are-"

"Walker! Stop it! She doesn't have to know every single detail! It'll overwhelm her!" Ma shrieked as she dropped her hand from my hair. I swear she looked as if she was seconds from popping a blood vessel as she glared at my dad. "I think it's time you leave." Her words were filled with venom and anger as she continued to narrow her eyes at Dad.