Chapter - 40

I had a brilliant idea - well, to me it was going to be perfect. My plan was that the second we got home, I was going to go straight to my bedroom, strip down to only my bra and lace underwear and try to seduce Bryson. When he finally gave in, I was going to leave him - in the midst of his desire. However, my plan crumbled with one single phone call.

“Hello?” I answered my cell phone right as Bryson pulled into his designated parking spot. Silence lingered on the line for a second, making me fill with curiosity at who was calling.

“...Elle?! ... Damn, this place has horrible reception,” I could hear my mother mutter on the other end of the call. “ ... Elle! Can you hear me?”

“Loud and clear,” I quipped as I wondered why she was calling and where she was.

“Good. Listen, you need to get down to the hospital, as soon as possible.” She exclaimed with a certain excitement laced in her tone.

I raised an eyebrow as I clutched the phone closer to my ear. “Why? What’s up?”

“It is-” Suddenly the line went silent.

My stomach dropped in worry. “Mother? What is it? ... Hello?”

“Sorry, I walked into a dead spot of this hospital. Anywhoo, it is Peter, he-” Her voice was cut off but instead of silence, this time, I heard the irritating sound of static. A second later, the static ended and my mother’s voice could be heard again. “So get down here,” She proclaimed, clearly finishing up a mini-speech that I had been left out on due to the static and poor signal her phone got at the hospital.

“Mom, I didn’t hear what you said-” I started to say but she cut me off with a loud, over exaggerated, huff.

“Just get down here! Now!” She half-yelled before abruptly hanging up on me.

I sat my phone down on my lap as I gave a deep frown. Something was going on with Peter, while mother’s tone sounded, at first, chipper, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of gloom fall over me. What if something was wrong with him? What if-

I stopped my thoughts because I couldn’t think of them.

All I could now think about was guilt. I was feeling in the wrong for trying to exact my revenge on Bryson - when in fact I should have just dropped him out of my life the second I got my memory back and gone straight to Peter’s side ... it is what he would have done if he was in my shoes. Peter would never abandon me like I have him.

“Take me to the hospital,” I gritted as I loathed myself from the inside out. Both my hands balled up into fists. I clenched my fists so tight that I could feel my nails digging into my flesh. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling, but it drew my pain from emotional to physical, which for some reason, the physical pain was more bearable than the emotional.

“Why, what is wrong?” Bryson asked in what almost sounded like a caring voice.

However, I wasn’t fooled because he didn't care.... “Just please take me, Bryson - or I will walk.” I responded as I leaned back in my seat and clamped my fist tighter, digging my nails farther into the palm of my hand.

To my surprise the car started back up and Bryson reversed his white Mustang out of the parking spot. In all honesty, I expected him to nag me for answers as to why I needed to go to the hospital, ultimately leading me to walking to the hospital. Instead, he shocked me by not uttering a single word and just driving me, willingly, to the hospital.

Then again, he probably knows it has to do with Peter. I mean, why else would I willingly want to go back to the hospital? It wasn’t for the Pine-Sol smell, white coated doctors and nurses, I can tell you that much.