Chapter - 13

Five Years Earlier: 2008

“Please, Elle, forgive me.” 

My eyes flickered over to my left side and the moment I did I was faced with my brother. His piercing brown eyes gazed deeply into mine with uneasiness. “Peter?” I choked out in shock. Just then I realized I was in a hospital room. “What happened?”

“I didn’t mean for you to fall out of the treehouse, Elle! The ball was meant to hit your abdomen and beside that, it wasn’t supposed to make you fall! I’m so sorry!” He was an open book and as I laid there with him right by my bedside, I saw that he was in a state of pure panic and worry.

Out reaching my arm, I touched his face to find that he doesn’t feel as warm as usual. “You’re cold and looking pale. Please, don’t tell me you self-sacrifice yourself and became a vampire.” I said with slight humor laced in my voice.

Peter placed his hand over mine, keeping it on his right cheek. “No, I’m just a damaged, human, brother that is so, so sorry for the actions he caused. It tears me up to know that I caused you to come here ... and because of me you have twelve stitches in your head.” His eyes started to water and with that I removed my hand from his face.

“Peter, stop the crying. I’m fine and you are forgiven. So, you can go along hating me like you use too,” I spoke with the last sentence dipping in sadness. Honestly, I didn’t want Peter and me going about acting like we hate one another. He was my brother and in a few years he was going to go to college and I didn’t want him to leave with us on bad terms ... but this is the way he likes it...

“Elle, you are never going to see that brother again because ... your injury made me realize life is too short. I love you, Lil Sis. I want to be there for you and just be the best brother I can be.”

My mind kept telling me he was lying but the more I stared at him, the more my thoughts shifted to pure awe. Clearing my throat, I smiled. “You being for real?”

“Yes, Elle. I’m being ‘for real’,” he gave a chuckle and I watched his eyes gleam with happiness, which I soon mirrored.

I woke with wide eyes and a smirk plastered on my face. I knew, even before my eyelids opened, that I had just gained a memory, which of course automatically put me in a great mood.

Leaping out of my bed, I started to run out of my room. “Bryson?!” I shouted and opened the door opposite to mine in the hall. Last night, I learned where Bryson’s bedroom was because I left my bedroom after Bryson went to bed and got a good feel of the layout of the apartment. “Bryson!” I yelled, only to find that his white quilted bed was made up and held no figure under the queen size comforter. My eyes danced around the red walled room to find that everything was untouched and not out of place.

I exited the room and closed the door slowly behind me. Trudging out of the hall, I saw that the living room was just as empty as his room. My heart fell to my knees as I thought he had left me. However, the second I thought that, I realized that he had told me he had a meeting with his lawyer this morning.

“Wait, didn’t he say someone was supposed to be here?” I questioned in a low voice, much to myself.

“Like me?” A male’s spoke from behind me.

I jumped a good foot in the air before turning around. Upon facing the person that spoke I saw a tall, blond headed boy that had sky blue eyes. I had to admit then and there, to myself, that he was cute but Bryson was way hotter... “The name is Niko. You must be Elle.”

Giving a nod, I looked down at my bare feet because I was unsure of what to say to him. I’d no idea if we had met before or who exactly he was to Bryson ... well, I guess he was close to Bryson for Bryson trusted him to watch over me, which by the way I’m not too happy about. I can handle myself when push comes to shove.