Chapter - 23

Four Years Ago: 2009

“I think you’ve created a monster,” Randall whispered to me as we stared at Kat who was throwing popcorn at random people in the dark movie theater a few rows in front of us.

I had to admit, I really had created a monster. I mean, if you had told me a year ago that Kat would be the prankster, outspoken, don’t-give-a-shit girl she is now, I would have laughed right in your face.

Truth be told, it took a lot to crack her and get her to walk on the wild side with me.

At first, Kat wouldn’t really be engaged in playing pranks on people and making their days a living hell. However, now she is the one coming up to me begging to cause havoc ... not that I’m complaining, because it is really nice to have a sidekick. “Yeah, I know,” I stated to Randall with a smile.

“I hope she doesn’t get us kicked out of this movie theater. This is the last one in a thirty mile radius of our hometown that we are not banned from.” Randall complained as he was munching mindlessly on some Raisinets he bought earlier. Leaning back in his plush red seat, he gave off a sigh and looked around, clearly disinterested in the movie playing.

“Hey, y’all got any money? I’m out of popcorn and my mother grounded me, as you know, so I don’t have my wallet with me.” Kat proclaimed as she came back over to us and sat down in her seat beside me.

“You know Randall paid for my ticket. I’m broke,” I told her the obvious.

“Randall, give me some money. I will pay you back next week,” Kat schemed.

Looking over at Kat, Randall shook his head. “No.”

“But Randall, I’m hungry.”

“It is not my fault you wasted your popcorn, that I bought, throwing it at people who are trying to enjoy this horrible movie.”

“But ... But I’m really, really, hungry,” Kat whimpered with a puppy dog face.

Randall glanced away from her, trying not to give in to her outlandishly adorable wide eyes and perked-out lips. “I’m not going to fall for that,” he proclaimed, much to himself.

“I-I thought you loved me,” she teared up.

Biting my bottom lip I tried not to chuckle at how Randall’s hand was slipping down to the pocket of his khaki pants, clearly indicating that he was giving in.

Grabbing my arm, Kat smiled, “come get the popcorn with me.”

“Here is five bucks. I swear this is the last time I’m giving you money,” Randall bitterly said but we knew he was not going to live up to his words.

Laughing, we got up and left the moody Randall.

“I think you're going to have to pay him back as soon as humanly possible.” I told her as we exited the theater room we were previously in.

“Oh, I will the second I get my wallet ... Man, my mother is really gullible. She really believed that I was going to a study group with you guys.”

“I told you last week that your mother trusts Randall and I way too much.” I exclaimed as we walked down a hall with various entrances into different theaters.

“No, she doesn’t trust you at all, rightfully so, I might add,” Kat said with an evil glint in her eyes. “Hey, you know my mother informed me recently that she trusted Randall with my life.”