Chapter - 39

“So, what are you going to do about tomorrow?” Mayla asked as she placed some collars she just got in on a sales rack. Her green eyes gazed at me with curiosity once she was done with placing the leashes on the metal rack.

I inhaled and allowed my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. “Tomorrow?” I questioned right before bending down and sweeping, the pile of dirt I collected, into the dustpan. Walking over to the black plastic trashcan by the front door, I shook the trash on the dustpan in the garbage. Turning around I saw that Mayla was looking at me with shock. “What is it?”

“The wedding silly!” She exclaimed and she threw her hands up.

I shrugged my shoulders, “I haven’t really thought about it...” I admitted as I fiddled with the top of the broomstick in my hand.

“... How bad do you want to get back at him?” Mayla asked me. She walked over to the cash register and started to organize the counter as she waited for me to reply.

I sighed, “Honestly, I want to drive a dull knife through the dude ... Does that clarify how bad I want him to pay?” I questioned with a smile, showing her that I wasn’t really serious about killing him, but I wouldn’t mind torturing the guy a little.

He was a jerk - playing off my memory loss the way he did. Sad thing is, I would have married him if I didn’t gain my memories because I was growing feelings for Bryson (don’t ask me why, but I was) and I felt a sense of duty to marry him because I thought the eighteen-year-old me loved him. However, now that I see his true colors those feelings and thoughts have been replaced with hate.

“I have an idea,” Mayla said as she stopped what she was doing. Biting her bottom lip, she let her statement linger in the air for a prolonged second before speaking up once more. “I know someone who can pose as a priest ... you can pretend to marry Bryson. It will all look real and trust me, Bryson - along with everyone else, will fall for it. I can even hook you up with some fake marriage certificates and all that jazz...”

“Isn’t that illegal?” I inquired.

Mayla looked down at her hands, “It is but trust me, you will not get caught. The people I know do this kind of thing for a living ... It was just an idea,” Mayla stated as she glanced back up at me. “I figured it would solve the whole wedding issue and plus, the papers will look so real that Bryson will be able to get whatever he wants out of this marriage and in the end you can tell him you’re not really married and leave with no messy - dragged out divorce...” She trailed off, as her green eyes shifted away from me and back to her hands.

I stood there, frozen for a second before speaking, “Can these people you know be here by tomorrow?” I asked as I began to like her idea.

Looking at up at me, Mayla’s head bobbed up and down a few times. “Yeah! Hell, I could have them here within the hour!” She exclaimed with excitement in the fact that I was agreeing with her.

I smiled from ear to ear, “Would you like to be my Fake Maid of Honor?”

Mayla grinned like a Cheshire cat, “It would be my honor, Fake Bride," She gave a couple of chuckles before abruptly stopping. "Oh snap.” Mayla proclaimed with wide eyes as she gazed behind me.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw a white mustang swerving into a parking spot right in front of Mayla’s shop. “Is that-?”

“Bryson,” Mayla finished as she walked around the counter and stood beside me. “What is the plan?” She asked.

“You are asking me for the plan? Aren’t you the mad genius here? After all you came up with the idea for the fake wedding.” I stated as Bryson’s driver’s door opened and he got out without even bothering to turn off his car. “I guess we will just go with the flow. Oh and it would be awesome if you played along with the pregnancy,” I muttered right before he got to the door.