Chapter Thirty: Braids

Apparently, Lance actually knew where he was going and they arrived at the McClain house in about twenty minutes. "What would you like for lunch?" Lance asked. "We've got hot dogs, pasta, salad, or I could make grilled cheese. Bacon on the said grilled cheese is optional, but recommended."

"I'll have... a grilled cheese?" Keith took off his jacket and placed it neatly on the chair before sitting down.

Lance pulled out some bread from the freezer. "Bacon?"

Keith twisted a strand of hair around his finger. "Yes, please." He stood back up, "I'll be back in a sec." He walked up the stairs and into Lance's room. It was technically his room as well, but he didn't feel like it was his. Keith sat down on the bed, looking around the room. It was fairly simple, the blue painted walls bare except for several pictures of Lance with Katie and Hunk, as well as pictures of him and his siblings. Keith reached for his bag and pulled it into his lap.

He unzipped it and pulled out his few belongings. He had two spare shirts and one pair of pants, all black. Mrs. McClain had said that she had clothes for him, so he didn't have to bring anything unless he wanted to. A hairbrush and hair ties were tucked into the front pocket of the backpack. There was one book, the only one he had truly loved, and a small, flat box. The remaining thing was a wrapped package from Katie that he had never opened, mainly because he was dreading what was inside.

Bets with her were very dangerous and, unfortunately for him, he had lost a bet a few months ago. The cost: he had to wear an outfit of her choosing at some point. Maybe he would open it and wear whatever it was on her birthday.

Keith saw his headband and hair tie on the bed, which had probably come out sometime last night. He grabbed the hairbrush and started combing through his knotted hair. When it was smooth enough for him to be able to run his hand through his hair, he pulled it back.

He divided his hair and separated each side into three pieces before twisting them together. When he was done, he flicked his left braid. "At least it'll be out of my face now." He walked down the stairs, "Hey. I'm back."

"Oh, good. Your grilled cheese is ready." Lance took a sip of his drink and turned around. His eyes landed on Keith and he spat out water all over the floor. "What happened to your hair?!"

Keith reached up to touch one of the braids and looked off to the side. "What? Did I mess up?"

"N-No," Lance stuttered. "B-But where'd the mullet go?"

He sighed, "First of all, it's not even a mullet. Second, braids."

"Well, a-anyway," Lance put down his glass and turned back to the counter. "Your grilled cheese is ready."

Keith smirked at Lance's back. "Thanks."

Alright, guesses? What do you think the book is? What's in the small box? And most importantly... what outfit did Pidge pick? ;)

I'm also back home now so updates should increase again :D