Chapter 26

"Who's idea was to use a Subway?" Laura got hold of Bryce's arm squeezing it in tight grip.

"Stop whining, I didn't know we will have to go through place like this." added Sharlene who was holding my  androids other arm.

"Girls, I could ask Mike to take us to northern Amber. Why did we have to take this stinky garbage sub, if we can afford to travel in much nicer vehicle - private." I said while eying the odd people around us.

      Sub was something new to me. I had never used one. In main part of the city it looks quite decent, but here, farther away, it is more dirtier, filled with people from lower classes, who all look very suspicious and I would say dangerous. We came for a night out, dressed in closing that stood out on the dull tones of the people outfits and subway's plain colors.

      I was in dark leathery pants, some sparkling crystals covering the side of my thighs. Similar shade of black was my sleeveless top with a long braid coming down on my right side reaching my hip. Electronic choker hold my neck with a line of dim, white moon like light. Laura was dressed in mini silver dress, her hair today was blood red accenting her full lips of the same color as well as her shoes and red nails. Sharlene had short top which revealed her naked belly, short black shorts, net like stockings  with high dark ankle boots. Few electronic bracelets covered her left arm, making it look very artificial. Bryce was in his dark grey formal outfit.

    In total contrast was the people in the sub. Their clothes were dark, worn off, some of the clothing was very old looking and outdated. Lots of metal belts and rusty accessories covered their bodies. Hardly taken care of crazy hairstyles decorated their heads. Luckily this place was not filled with too many people, allowing us to have some space. Some people were eying us. I noticed some young man snickering on far end of the wagon. I felt very vulnerable and kept myself close to Bryce as  much as possible. It was hard not to focus on their stares. Poor Laura was visibly nervous, I saw her clutching tighter my androids arm every time she looked at some dirty man who were starring at her naked legs.  Sharlene on other hand looked very confident, not making visible any vulnerable emotion on her face. The only thing what indicated her uncomfortable feeling was her close position to Bryce. She always was the brave one.

I looked out the scratched window to a black concrete wall that encased the subway's path. I just didn't want to constantly look at the unpleasant sight of these people. After some time spent standing, I felt somebody gently grab my hand. 

"Hey, young lady. What are you doing in this kind of place? Are you lost?"

     I shrieked of the sudden contact and the middle aged man talking to me in a quiet and raspy low tone. He had very messy hair, his face was covered in rusty piercings and his unshaven face and chin  was too close for my comfort. Before I could say a word to him, I was swooped aside by Bryce, as now he was standing in front of old man. His large body threateningly looming over a subway man. He seemed to try to say something, but it came out more like a quiet stutter. I saw Bryce's face to change in subtly angry scowl, he stepped over in direction of the old man, making him stumble backwards.

He raised up his hands in defeat "Whoa, whoa dude. Easy man. I am off, alright." and stepped back.

    My heart was pounding hard against my chest at this moment. If Bryce wouldn't be here I would have died of cardiac arrest before that man had a chance to do something to me. I got back to my friends desperate for their comfort. Bryce was standing still in the same spot for couple of minutes, threateningly eyeing everyone on that side of wagon, giving a clear warning to stay away from us.

"This is it. Our stop." Sharlene interrupted my nervous mind.

     We quickly exited the wagon and waited for Bryce, as he just casually  walked out. A total relieve washed over us not seeing a single soul at the subway stop.

"Aw my god. That man almost gave me a heart attack." exhaled Laura still holding on to Sharlene for mental balance.  "Are you still alive, Kyra?"

"Yeah, I am fine now." I took a big intake of air as my lungs felt constricted of this stressful place.

We stayed in one place for a while, until we could calm down.

"Kyra, thanks god you have Brycy. I don't know what would have happened, if he wasn't here. Did you see how he managed to make him back off just by looking at him. He even doesn't need to lift a single finger to make everyone back away." Laura said and looked lovingly at Bryce.

     His eyes were focused on me the entire time since we left the sub wagon. The visible worry was noticeable on his serious  face and something else. A pain? I had never seen him expressing so much of his artificial emotion.

"Bryce? Are you alright?" I asked him confused.

"I have never seen you so afraid. It scared me."  he stated not answering my question. 

     I didn't know what to think of this. Was he really scared? He was probably worried not scared. He is just trying to sound like a human. But his face told a different story. He genuinely looked slightly scarred. I was totally puzzled. In some way it felt fluttering to know he cared for me so much. We both were standing in silence awkwardly looking at each other. No. We all were silent, Laura and Sharlene were watching us and not saying a word, like not wanting to interrupt us.

"Awww. Kyra, Brycy! The scene looks so sweet!" Laura finally spoke.

     I questionably raised my eyebrow not understanding her point. Both my friends let out a light giggle.

"Never mind. Lets get out of here. The fortune teller's place should not be far from here."

Sharlene invited us to go upstairs and leave the creepy subway station.