Chapter 33

I couldn't shake the the thought of Bryce's reaction out of my head. I stayed on the same patch of grass for couple of minutes and then continued my walk through greenhouse. In some parts, grass was taller, almost reaching my waistline. I spread my hands and skimmed through it with my fingers, feeling it's texture.

       Now I remember, I have seen Bryce doing similar thing. On the day, Carlos came to inform us about the android attacks, I took Bryce to this area. To show him my very precious place for the first time to him. He seemed to be mesmerized, looking at the different trees and other plants, that decorated my greenhouse. And he did the same thing, skimming his palms through tall grass. First I didn't pay attention to him, but now, when I think about it. He was feeling it, the tall and rough grass stems. Did he actually feel something? He was also touching the leaves of the trees. This wasn't the first time he acted like this.

       I remember my first time with him and this behavior occurred in elevator. He touched my hair, was holding them in his hands and it didn't seem he wanted to let them go. Also, next morning he was glazing his fingers on my cheeks. And today, the scene in front of my crops and the pained expression, when I touched his wounds. This can't be coincidence. He is feeling. I am sure of it. But what made him to experience such sensations? I have to think this thoroughly.

      What Carlos told us? They found some neuron cells in one of the infected robots. Is this, why Bryce is able to feel. Is he infected? But how? I don't understand. We did the testing yesterday. He was fine. Maybe he was hiding his symptoms from them. CyRo's Angela said, it is psychological test. If Bryce is aware of everything, what is happening to him, then he might have managed to fool them. It is exactly like at home. With others, he is so normal, but around me, he is consciously or unconsciously showing his symptoms to me. Why? The only conclusion I have come up with at this moment - he is infected, definitely.

       It seems nothing can surprise me now, after witnessing his behavior through all these month I have spent time with Bryce. After this realization, I feel  afraid again. How far this virus can progress? In the beginning, he wasn't like this. He have become violent, thankfully not towards me, for now. I don't know, what to expect from him. If the infection is progressing, than I have to be extra careful, I have to watch my back, in case he does something horrible and unthinkable.

       I feel this heavy pressure in my chest again. It is from all the stress I am going through. The uneasy feeling haven't left me for some time. Why I have to go through this awful nightmare? I find a small clearing, where the grass is shorter and lie down. I curl myself in to a ball and I feel silent tears are falling from my eyes on the ground. I feel miserable, being in this state, so depressed and always on edge about everything, what's happening around me with my android. I want some long and relaxing time for once. To feel free of any worries. After that robot attack my life have turned upside down. What else could happen? I didn't bother to wipe the tears, just let them fall freely on the soft grass.

    I have to find a way to convince everybody else about Bryce's sickness. At least, to make them aware of it.   Until I have find the way how to deal with it - with virus and Bryce himself.

***

     I opened my eyes. Some grass stems were in front of my vision, but I could tell, it is already nighttime. I take my time and continue sleeping on the ground, before I fully wake up. I notice something in front of me, something that wasn't there before. Something dark and tall. I lifted my eyes and a shrieking gasp left my lungs. Looming over me, with intent filled face expression, was standing Bryce. I quickly lifted my body up, not fully, and scurried backwards, away from his large frame. A realization of his infected state, hit me like a rock. What was he doing here, so late? And most importantly, why was he watching me, silently? As I was few feet away from him, he started to walk towards me. The moonlight, shining through glass panes, made him look menacing, as his face was almost covered completely  behind the shadows. Just his dark silhouette was visible.  He made few more quick steps and came strait for me, grabbing both of my arms, which were trying to block him, and pulled myself up on my feet.

"Don't.. don't touch me!" came a quiet protest from my quivering lips. My heart was beating loudly in my chest, as I was fighting back his tightening grip.

"Stop struggling and don't think to run away." Bryce said and quickly turned me around, so my back was against his chest.

      He wrapped both of his arms around me, still holding me tight. I felt his breath hit my ear. His head was against my left side of face, as he was pressing his cheek against mine.  I could feel his lips tracing my cheek, so barely. I just stood frozen in his embrace, completely oblivious of what he was trying to do. I stopped struggling, letting him do with me, what he wanted. My mind was protesting and bugged me to continue to fight him, at least to get some space between us. But at the same time, I didn't want to provoke him. I was aware of his infection, but I had no idea of what kind of behavior it can lead to. I felt my eyes getting teary.

"Are you afraid?" Bryce said tauntingly in to my ear.

"Stop it, please! Let me free!" I felt a tear slide down my cheek and on his arm. I was afraid, very afraid at this moment.

"You didn't answer me." he shook me "Are you afraid of me?".

     I took a moment to collect myself and get some courage to say it. I never felt comfortable to voice my feelings out laud.

"Yes... I am afraid of you." my vision was blurry and I felt my tearful eyes will not hold in anymore.

"Why?" Bryce squeezed me tighter.

"Because of things you are doing. Things you are not supposed to do. The way you behave is not normal."

"What is normal then? You asked me to behave like a human would do. Is it still not enough for you? Am I not human enough for you?"

"Bryce! You are not human. You will never be. Understand it! And your behavior is unpredictable. You are scarring me. I  should know what to expect from a robot, but I .... I don't know what to expect from you. It is scary, very scary..." I finally let my emotions free and let myself cry, to cry everything out.

"You are scared." he stated. "And do you think I am not. What you did to me yesterday. Do you think it did not scare me. The thought of never seeing you again. I trusted you. And I thought you trust me, but I think I was wrong."

"But... but how can I trust you? I can't, Bryce. I can't."

"How about, let go of your sense of logic for once. Let go of your stereotypes about robots and about me. I am not like any other robot."

"Yeah, you are not."

     He released his hold on me and turned me around to face him. I wanted to see his face and his eyes, but the forest was too dark for me to pick up any detail shown in them. He pressed my sobbing body against his chest, but not so tight as before. 

"One more thing." he said quietly "Never dare to send me away to CyRo again, never."

     I rested my head on his chest as he was comforting me in some way. I felt his shirt is all wet from my crying, but I could not stop. Tears were falling and falling. Some of my fear have left me. Seems it helped me a little bit by talking to him. At least I got to know of what he was thinking.

After like an eternity, I felt myself calming down in his strong embrace. The thoughts of our conversation swirled through my mind. It is true. He is different than any other robot. But what makes him so different?

"Bryce?" My words are partly muffled in his chest, "Are you infected?"

There is a big pause after my question. My heart speeds up again. Why is he not answering? Did he hear me?

"No." Bryce answers after some time of thought.