Chapter 23

What? Did I hear him right? No... He doesn't understand what he is talking about. I stood few feet away from bathroom door thinking of his statement. I was not expecting him to answer, it was just a rhetorical question. But he did. I should be relieved of hearing him thinking about me in this kind of way, but at the same time I was well aware he could not feel this kind attachment towards me. It was just his programmed protectiveness that made him think and say he cared for me in some way. He had no concept of what it really meant to a living human being.
I took a deep breath and decided to continue my way back to my office. I still felt hurt, but couldn't put my finger on why. The paining pressure in my chest was still evident as I tried to shift my thoughts back to work.

     On the far end of the corridor I noticed Mr Braun slowly striding my way. I could see a small smirk playing on his manly face. Suddenly remembering about our meeting which should start in any minute, I collected myself and my uneasy mind before he managed to reach me.

"Ah! Good afternoon Kyra!" Mr Braun smirked at me.

"Hello, Mr Braun. Give me another five minutes and I will be ready."

I couldn't understand why, right now, his behavior seemed to be little cocky, his slight smile, didn't look genuine. Before I could pass him he said:

"I didn't know you go for that kind of man?" he arched his eyebrow at me.

"Excuse me? What is that about?"

"Well, a moment ago you seemed pretty close to your bodyguard, holding hands and walking through the office together in a broad daylight like a ..."

He didn't get to finish as I interrupted him in mid sentence, annoyed of his comment:

"Listen, it is not your business, of what kind of man I fancy." I step closer looking right in his eyes: "Are you disappointed you are not in my list of worthy man? ... Say another thing about a things that does not concern you and I will drop all the previous agreements in regards to our contract and investment in your new project. It would be a such a waste of time for you if that would happen. Am I right?"

     For my surprise he said nothing in return, standing plastered against the wall and looking down at my threatening pose. I was small and more fragile than him, I didn't look scary and threatening, but somehow I had managed to show my superiority in this moment bringing up his business matter.

    Before I have had a chance to leave I notice Bryce exiting the bathroom. He looks at me and then at Mr Braun, his eyes lingering on a male against the wall. They both stare at each other for a moment. Mr Braun has a mixture of emotions on his tanned face, Bryce on other hand has none. He just eyes him, observing this man and his image. Bryce doesn't seem interested in him by the looks of it, but I know he carefully observes every body movement and exhibited body language to assess the persons intentions and emotions. I leave them both behind me and proceed to my daily tasks - get to my office and get ready for a meeting with Mr Braun.

     I didn't like this man at all, well aware of his thirst for money and power. And what a better way to get it, than through me. I knew his intentions very well. In the past I have met people like him, who will do anything to get the riches and importance, as well as power in Amber's society. All this time he had tried to sway my heart in to liking him by being a gentleman and complimenting me. But from a very start I gave him no visible hope he would succeed in his hidden agenda. I will give him only that much, how much is needed for his project. Because of my rich person's  status, I have a hard time to trust and distinguish people, who are after my money or who wants to be my friend. I want people to like me for who I am. I want for people who want to be a part of my life, to treat me like my dad and my two crazy fiends. They do not see me as a money bag, but as a living person with feelings and personality. Even Bryce treats me kinder than other 'close' people.

*****

     The meeting went smoothly, because of my threat, Mr Braun was focused only on his project. We signed the contract and he can start his work on his new machines. I was back in my office, taking in the relaxing sight of Amber city. I need some time to do something else than just a work. I feel tired of constant routine every single day. I could go and do some work in my greenhouse, go and spend some time in city and I cant wait to go out this weekend with my friends. Though it is not something I am interested in, I will see some other interesting parts in Amber. Maybe to plan some trip outside the city walls. To see the world.

      Drinking so much tea today makes me visit the restrooms more frequently. I have to go again and interrupt my resting time in sunshine. The other staff sections seems quiet as everybody is concentrated on their work and I don't see a single  person wondering around. I proceed back to the bathroom. After some time spent in there I take a look in it's large mirror fixing little bit my look and my hair. Nobody is here, only me and my reflection. I hear a door squeak and in comes no one other than Victoria. She has that wicked smirk on her face again. I try to ignore her, as she makes myself get a bit angry again, remembering today's events, but she just stands next to me and stares right at me.

"What?" I snap.

"I just want to clear things up." She says in her 'sweet' voice. "You seemed to act a little bit possessive today. It is not like he is your boyfriend, right. Why you are so concerned of what and with who he is doing things? Give him his private moments sometime. Aaand I don't think you are his type of woman, so don't pretend you mean something to him."

     Anger and shock filled my body. This woman doesn't understand what she is talking about. She has no clue about his origins and his being. Clueless bitch.

"Yeah, right. I want to clear things up too." Anger was still burning in my eyes as I watched her. "I can tell you that, he will NEVER have feelings for you, my dear! He is never gonna love you or care for you. You can try as hard as you want, but you won't get his 'heart'."

"What makes you think that? Because you cannot get him doesn't mean I don't have a skill to make him be with me. Give me some time and you will see of what I am capable off. I will win his heart." Victoria said determined.

"HE DOES NOT HAVE ONE! He doesn't have a heart. He will never be with you. He will never love you, because he is a fucking ROBOT!"

     I saw her face getting pale as she was trying to form the words to lash back at me, but came none. My breathing had gotten heavy as tried to suppress my anger at her stupidity and ignorance. Partly I don't blame her, she didn't know he is an android, as everyone else in this building, but she made a false assumptions about Bryce, not knowing a single thing about him.

"If you ever confront me about this kind of nonsense and make a scene out of it, I will fire you on the spot. Understand!"

She just nodded and  I could see her swallow a lump of shame, as I finally excited the suffocating restroom.

      This day cannot get any worse. Why is everybody picking on me today? I feel exhausted of experiencing these emotions  for a 'hundred' of times already. I need to get home, enough work for today. I get back to my office and tell Anna to take care of the rest of the work for today.

"Bryce, let's go. We are going home." I say him not even looking at him, feeling too overwhelmed of today's events.

We enter my personal elevator and start to go down.

Something startles me while I am going down. I feel somebody is gently touching my hair. I turn to the side and see Bryce holding a stand of my hair in his massive palm, examining it. What is he doing. I have never seen him doing creepy things like this.

"Bryce?"