The Proposal (Brett Talbot x Reader)

Requested by @Zeronix - Hi *grins* Could I please request a Brett x reader (cause you're doing amazing with Cody Christian/Theo stuff and are satisfying that pretty face's need) where you two have been dating for a while and go on a trip to England or something and he surprises you with a proposal and maybe a promise to get a cute cottage there (in wherever they vacationed) one day? Please, and if Brett is too hard for you to write, maybe Derek or Theo works too.

*****

For their fifth anniversary, Brett and Y/N planned a trip to England for two whole weeks. It took a lot of planning and saving a lot of money, but the two managed to make it happen. Luckily, their anniversary was during the summer and they didn't have to worry about missing any classes or having to wait to celebrate during a break from school.

During their vacation, they visited a lot of touristy places like Big Ben, Stonehenge, Tower of London, Hyde Park, River Thames, and the London Zoo. Of course, they tried every restaurant and cute cafe Y/N saw. She was a foodie, especially with Italian since it's her favorite. She loved wine and she couldn't help but try different kinds every night for dinner. Brett didn't care where they went or what they did, as long as Y/N was happy. Coming here was on her bucket list and he wanted everything to be perfect. He let her plan the entire trip, with the exception of him planning their last night together.

He told her he wanted to do something special for their last night, a romantic dinner. This was no surprise to Y/N as Brett has always surprised her with romantic surprises. However, Brett was about to pull the biggest surprise ever. One she would never forget and would tell their future grandchildren someday.

Y/N let out a small sigh with her eyes closed after taking the last bite of her favorite dessert. "This entire dinner was amazing."

Brett chuckled as he nervously put his hand in his pocket; double-checking the ring box hasn't suddenly disappeared into thin air. "I'm glad you loved it, baby."

She fluttered her eyes open and immediately locked them with Brett's. She placed the fork down on the plate and pushed it aside before reaching out for his hands as she spoke, "I'm serious. Everything about tonight was perfect. A romantic candlelight dinner on a rooftop that has an amazing view of, not only the country side, but the stars too," she looked up with a huge smile on her face. She lost count how many stars shined so bright, but she didn't care. She was happy. She was in love and in one of the most beautiful places in the world with her best friend. "Tonight couldn't get any better," she whispered as she saw a shooting star. "Make a wish, babe," she whispered. Brett saw her close her eyes and make a wish. He didn't feel the need to repeat her actions to make a wish. He already had a wish and he hoped she'd say yes.

When she rolled her head back and looked at Brett, she gave him a sweet smile. "Did you make a wish?"

"Yup, did you?" He asked.

"Of course," she squeezed his hands.

He brushed his thumb across her knuckles. "What did you wish for?"

"I can't tell you that, silly! Then it won't come true," she giggled. "Besides, it's not like you're going to tell me what you wished for." 

"I wished that you would say yes," he admitted.

Her heart skipped a beat. For a spilt second, she thought maybe he was about to ask her to marry him. She immediately pushed that thought in the back of her mind. He wasn't going to propose tonight. They had a plan; the typical and safe plan. They would finish school first and then get married once they had careers.

"You know I'd say yes to you anytime about anything," she smiled. Then she shook her head, "I take that back. I say yes most of the time," she chuckled.

Except Brett didn't laugh with her. He was completely nervous and her pervious statement made him more nervous. What if she didn't say yes? After all, they weren't done with school. They had student loans. They didn't have stable careers. They each had a part time job that was enough to pay rent for their little apartment, and had to work extra shifts to make this trip happen.

"Brett?" She whispered, pulling him out of his thoughts. He looked extremely nervous. She had never seen him like this before. "What's wrong?"

He cleared his throat, pushing back the tightness, and took a deep breath. He squeezed her hands and looked into her worried eyes. "Y/N, I love you. You know that, right?"

She nodded slowly as she eyed him carefully. He was scaring her. Her heart was beating like crazy. The sound of her heartbeat was echoing in her eardrums. "And I love you..." she trailed nervously.

"These five years with you have been the best years of my life. I fell in love with a woman who became my best friend, and I can't imagine living my life without her, her laugh, her touch, her sweetness, her kisses, her love..." he trailed. As he spoke, tears formed in Y/N's eyes as her heart continued to pick up its rapid pace. She knew what was happening and she was ready for it.

"I know we had a plan," he pulled out the small black box from his pocket and knelt down on one knee. Y/N gasped as her hands flew to her mouth. Her heart was racing, as the tears in her eyes fell down her cheeks. They've talked about having a future together, but she couldn't believe it was finally happening. Their forever would start sooner than expected.

"But I can't wait another second," Brett continued. "I want my best friend to be my fiancé, then my wife, and someday the mother of my kids. I want to spend the rest of my life with you," he paused and took a deep breath. "Will you marry me, Y/N?"

She nodded repeatedly before she wrapped her hand behind his back and pulled him in for a kiss. "Yes," she mumbled between kisses. "A million times yes!"

Brett chuckled as he pulled back. He pulled out the ring from the box and grabbed her left hand. Y/N watched as he slowly slid on her new diamond engagement ring. Brett held her hand and admired the view for a few seconds before he kissed her wedding finger. 

"I promise to fulfill every promise I made to you. We'll get married like we planned. I promise to buy you your dream house, no matter where it is. If it's back home or here, as long as I'm with you," Brett promised.

"It's absolutely beautiful here. I would like to move here someday," she turned to see the view from the rooftop in the night sky. "Maybe after we retire, and we're old and gray," she giggled as she looked back at Brett. "This would be a nice place to live after a long and happy life together."

Brett's lips formed a huge smile, knowing they would have a long and happy life together. "Whatever you want, baby, I'll make it happen."

Y/N cupped his cheeks and leaned her forehead against his. "I love you, Brett, and I can't wait to be your wife."

Brett smiled as he leaned in and kissed her. "I love you, too."