Academic Set-Up (Young Derek Hale Imagine)

"So, how was work today, hon?" Mr. Taylor asked.

Mrs. Taylor smiled. "It was great! I paired up all my students for my annual project, and I purposely put a certain pair together, because I just know they'll become a couple before the semester ends."

Mr. Taylor sighed. "Honey, you can't play Cupid with your students."

"I don't remember reading that in my contract when I got hired." Mrs. Taylor grabbed her grade book out of her book bag. "Besides, I didn't set them up on a blind date. I just paired them up for a project."

"Of course, just like all your other set ups. Who are the lucky kids this semester?" Mr. Taylor stood next to his wife and looked down at her opened grade book. Her freshly manicured nail pointed at one name.

"Derek Hale," Mr. Taylor read and followed his wife's finger to the second name. "And Y/N Y/L/N."

"Yup," she replied perkily. "Derek is struggling with my class and Y/N is one of my strongest students."

"So, you paired them up just because Derek is failing and she's not?" He raised his eyebrow. "Honey, you usually pick pair with a story behind it. Not just because one is failing and the other could be the tutor." He began to pull out the Chinese take-out boxes from a brown paper bag.

"Of course, I didn't pick them just for that!" She grabbed a couple of cold beers from the fridge. "They act like they hate each other, but I catch them stealing glances at each other when they're not looking. Every bone in my body is telling me those two actually like each other."

Mr. Taylor smiled at his wife. "You've never been wrong before. Also, your past set-ups are still together; one of them is even getting married next month. I don't doubt your gift." He pecked her cheek.

"Thanks, babe." She smiled cheekily.

"You'll have to keep me posted," Mr. Taylor handed her a pair of chopsticks.

"Of course!" She grinned.

It's been four weeks since Mrs. Taylor assigned Derek and Y/N together for her class project, which was due in 2 weeks, and they were already fed up with each other. They were constantly annoyed with the number of times they had to meet up for the project, both during and outside of school. They were beginning to see more of each other than their own friends.

The two rarely got along, even to complete the project. Y/N was smart and very organized. Derek often thought she was O.C.D., because she had her way of doing things. She organized everything in different folders and all the papers were filled with notes in different colored pens. As well, certain information was highlighted in different colors, each color coded for something. Except, she wasn't O.C.D. She was just a girl with dreams to get into a good Ivy League and she knew she had to do her best in school. Her system made things easier for herself as she was the type to get ahead, instead of doing everything last minute.

Y/N's habits drove Derek up a wall, as he didn't have the kind of patience she did. In some way, he admired her for that. He wanted to have patience. Because of his shifting, patience was a rare thing for him, and because of his envy, he teased her by calling her a nerd or a neat freak.

Derek was completely the opposite of Y/N. He wasn't as organized and refused to use his spare time on researching unnecessary information when he rather be playing basketball with his friends or learning more about controlling his shift with his Uncle Peter.

In the classroom, Mrs. Taylor was gathering up her things for her weekly staff meeting as Y/N tapped her pencil against her desk. Y/N's eyes were focused on the clock just above the blackboard, burning holes at the seconds' hand ticking around the clock slowly. Y/N and Derek had planned to meet after school in Mrs. Taylor's class to work more on their project.