1 - The Neighbors

A simple note:

Italics mean that a character is thinking, unless shown otherwise.

'Single quotation marks' mean that a pokémon is talking. The running theme in these fanfics of mine is that a trainer with a good bond with their pokémon can understand them, but just not to a perfect degree (it's all in the context clues). I just like fun trainer and pokémon dynamics lol.

= = =

A brown-haired woman looked up from her book at the clock. It was now 8:30 and her daughter should be up by now. She smiled over at the Fletchling currently flying in circles above her head. The pokémon was clearly bored and had nothing else to do.

"Fletchling," she called. The bird stopped and glanced at her owner with a cute tweet. "Be a dear and go wake up Serena, please." Fletchling nodded and swiftly flew toward the stairway, making her way into the only other room available — where the door was slightly ajar.

Light snoring cut through the silence in the air, as well as the faint chirp of other birds outside the window. The normal/flying-type landed on the bed post, peering down at the lump underneath the duvet. She cleared her throat, puffing out her chest, before releasing the loudest chirp possible. The noise shook the whole house and caused the lump to jolt out of bed, revealing a teenaged girl as she fell onto the hardwood floor.

Not only did that hurt, she narrowly escaped a concussion from her head slamming against the wall!

A loud groan escaped her lips while she rubbed the cartoonishly large bump that had quickly formed on her noggin. Fletchling giggled mischievously before she jumped down onto the injury, earning a hiss of pain from her trainer's daughter. "Oww! Why?! I thought we were friends!"

'Your mother said to wake you,' the pokémon chirped innocently, though this girl wouldn't understand.

With a huff, Serena slowly got up and stretched her limbs. The bump mysteriously disappeared, thankfully, so Fletchling had to find a different spot to perch on. Serena glanced toward the window as rays of sunlight poked through her pale curtains. "Ooh, it's nice outside!" The blonde smiled and walked over to her mirror, only to cringe at the mess she called her hair. She rushed into the bathroom and brushed her teeth before grabbing a hairbrush to begin fixing her soft mane.

Serena then rummaged through her wardrobe and picked out a black blouse, a red knee-length skirt, black thigh-high socks, and black & pink sneakers. She twirled in front of the mirror with a satisfied grin. "And to top it off..." She plucked a dark pink hat from the rack next to her, placing it atop her head and fixing a pair of white sunglasses to it — just in case it was too bright outside.

Grace looked up from the pot of soup she was cooking as her daughter came downstairs. "Are you rested up from the move?"

"Yup! Although, I had a bad wake-up call a moment ago." She playfully glared at the laughing Fletchling.

"You should go out and meet the neighbors," her mother suggested. "A few kids around your age live here."

"Okay!" Serena opened the front door and was quick to squeeze her eyes shut from the bright skylight. When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to find a dark-haired boy and a short brunette standing in her front yard. They definitely looked around Serena's age. "Oh, hey! My neighbors, I assume?" The blonde questioned, earning a nod. "I'm Serena."

"Welcome to Vaniville Town, Serena!" The girl spread out her arms as if she was giving a presentation. She then elbowed the guy next to her, who he had been staring at Serena ever since she exited the building. The brunette wasn't even sure if he blinked at all. "My name is Shauna, and this daydreaming boy right here is Calem."

"H- Hey there!" He laughed nervously before regaining his composure. "Uh, we came to... get you..."

Serena tilted her head to the side. "Oh? For what?"

"The esteemed Professor Sycamore lives here in the Kalos region. I was told he has a request for five kids, including us. But, I'm a little surprised he knows who you are. You did just move to Vaniville, after all."

Shauna nodded in agreement before bouncing in excitement. "Calem and I are going to the next town over. You wanna know why?! We're going to get... a pokémon! C'mon, hurry, let's go!" She ran out of the yard, leaving the duo behind. Calem sighed and smiled over at Serena.

"Sorry about her. Shauna can be... high on energy. A lot." He shook his head, amusement sparkling in his eyes. "We're all meeting up in Aquacorde Town. All you have to do is go out through the front gate and follow the Vaniville Pathway."

"Ah, alright!" Then, Serena playfully narrowed her eyes. "How about we race there?"

Calem returned the expression, smirking. "You're so on!"

"1... 2... 3... GO!!" The blonde shouted before they both took off running.

Her mom's other pokémon, Rhyhorn, awoke from his nap just to roll his eyes at their antics.

= = =