Garen x Lux

Blah blah blah, yes I know they're brother and sister and no there is NO ROMANCE, so stop getting your panties in a twist and either read it or move on. 

Garen sat on the edge of his bed with a heavy heart, setting his breastplate aside, another restless sigh escaping his lips. He couldn't remember the last time he had felt sullen over unrequited feelings. It seemed silly, no, it was, and Garen knew, but unfortunately, emotions were not so easily filtered out. Throughout his life, the Might of Demacia had his ups and downs and hardships he hurdled over, but he never stopped pushing. 

Many had come and gone, eventually taken as a casualty of war, but throughout it all, she remained by his side; his one pillar of stability in a world that tried damn hard to sweep him off his feet. Lux was the light of his day, her cheery and bubbly attitude always kept him on his feet, and most of all, grounded. Of course, he knew she carried a heavy burden, and while she refused to cry in front of him, he knew she kept up her facade for him. 

As he stared at himself in the mirror, he traced the gash running across his shoulder. They had fought battles together, side by side, he bore his scars with pride, knowing some had been to protect the person dearest to him. Utterly silly. He knew it would eventually pass, attributing his current state of feeling to a mid-life crisis of sorts. He chuckled, the frustration of it all beginning to show as his smile turned sour, his heart felt heavy, and there didn't seem to be a cure. 

A knock snapped him back to reality, his heart nearly leaping out of his chest, hoping it was not Lux coming to visit now that he had finally returned home. However, the rough pounding indicated otherwise, and he threw the door open, staring at the crown prince, his cocky grin never failing to show. "My prince," the Crownguard greeted, holding the door open. 

"Again, with the formalities, I see." 

"My apologies, Jarvan." Once the prince stepped inside, Garen frowned at the four women hustling after him, all carrying different attires. 

"I've noticed you've seemed rather down as of late. I want you to enjoy yourself tonight, forget the politics of war, and have fun, my good friend." The servants lined up in front of him, presenting the attires, waiting for the Demacian to make his pick. "Hmm, I wonder which Lux would prefer," the prince hummed, tapping his chin. Garen narrowed his eyes, leveling Jarvan with a withering glare. 

Even so, the Might of Demacia picked an attire of his choosing, ending the conversation that was sure to follow. He couldn't help but note the smirk on the prince's lips and scowled, dismissing the servants as he set his attire atop his sheets. "There, will you stop hassling me now?" 

"Not quite, you have to put it on." Garen grumbled under his breath but didn't argue as he slipped on the formal garb. Jarvan had been quick to notice Garen's lingering gaze, while mortified at first, he was relieved to hear the prince thought no less of him. While he teased and prodded around the subject, both men knew it was unrealistic, nothing would ever come to fruition, and Garen would be damned if he let it come to be. Finally, he turned to present himself before the crown prince and cleared his throat, "how does it look?" 

"Charming," Jarvan offered with a boyish grin. 

"I'm not used to such tight clothing." 

"If the women must suffer, then so must we, my dear friend." Garen averted his eyes, gazing at the setting sun looming over the horizon. He had no intention of revealing his feelings, and if need be, he would take them to the grave. The disgust on his face must have been apparent when the crown prince let out a heavy sigh. 

"I have known you for a long time, my friend. It would be hard for me to turn a blind eye to your inner turmoil, and I know it's rough, we don't always get to choose who our hearts belong to. I admire your restraint, but you should not plague your mind at every opportunity you are given. As you have helped me, I will be by your side when you need me the most. Try to relax and enjoy the night."