Caitlyn x Jayce

"Damn it!" Caitlyn cried out angrily, her hands smacking against the metal table, the other officers peered in her direction, most unfazed by her temper. It had become a norm, and their bad cop good cop routine had taken an iconic turn as Vi slowly turned docile to counteract her partner's changing disposition. There was nothing more terrifying than a woman's wrath, after all.

"Whoa there, calm down C, We'll get her next time," Vi assured, however, it proved to have the opposite effect on the sheriff.

"Next time? Next time!" She shouted the station went silent, as the angry sheriff slammed her fist onto the table once again. "You've been saying that for the last four runs!" she cried out exasperated, a small chuckle escaped Caitlyn, and many assumed she had finally reached her breaking point.

Ezreal stood in the doorway to the sheriff's office, and courage seeped out of his body at the seemingly one-sided fight taking place. He turned around and walked right out, no officer judging him for chickening out. Caitlyn was many things, an admired sheriff any officer would gladly work under for one, but Jinx just brought out the worst in her.

"Caitlyn, dear, chill, you'll get wrinkles on that pretty face of yours." Ezreal, who was on his way out, froze, the temperature in the building dropping a few degrees, as every officer looked at Jayce, shocked that he would push the sheriff's buttons, now of all times. It wasn't unusual for Caitlyn to get bent out of shape when her hardest didn't seem to be enough, but that was the sad reality of the world.

She was revered as a brilliant tactician, her intellectual prowess throwing countless criminals behind bars, but Caitlyn was no Vi. She wasn't the sort to punch first and ask questions later, it was the main distinction that allowed them to function so well together, but now she was reckless, taking unnecessary risks, and it was taking a toll on their partnership. Even Vi, who always found a way to lighten the situation, had no answer for this, any and all comments only seemed to agitate the sheriff.

Caitlyn turned her attention to Jayce, pinning him down with a glare, and she marched towards him. "I'll damn well grow a million wrinkles on my pretty face," she mocked. "If that means I'll catch that little rat! I won't stop until order has been restored!" With every word that came out of her lips, she thrust her index finger into his chest, driving him backward into the nearest wall. She meant business, and Jayce put his hands up in surrender, feeling the small bruises her finger had yet to make.

"We'll leave you to yourself," Ezreal stammered, his hands wrapped around Vi's gauntlets, ushering her to leave her partner's side. In the mood Caitlyn was in, getting through to her would prove impossible, except for, of course, Jayce.

Once every able body had left her office, Caitlyn sighed, raking her hair back with a frustrated sigh. She took a seat behind her desk, fingers drumming impatiently. Surprise failed her as Jayce remained leaning against the wall of her office, arms crossed, his eyes scanning the empty cubicles as the day came to an end.

He observed the sheriff in earnest, planning his next move carefully. It wasn't the first time Jayce had dealt with her when she was in one of those moods, but it never got any easier. Despite their open banter, the two were relatively close, definitely more than friends, but less than lovers.

A few stolen kisses didn't by any means solidify their relationship if he could call it that, but he would have liked to believe that they were slowly getting there. Women like Caitlyn weren't complex per se, just scared of commitment and intimacy, afraid to fail when they succeeded at everything else, and he knew she would choose duty over love, but he wasn't looking for a woman to grovel at his feet, he wanted a challenge — and Caitlyn was a challenge befitting his pursuit.