Chapter Twenty-Four: Promises Never Prevail (Part III)

Part III

As the car door closed, I watched as a man that I'd never be able to forget got out. Darius was the typical nigga and still ugly as ever. His black ass was headed for the door with that look on his face and I wasn't ready to deal with him. In fact it'd be foolish to attempt to do so. So with that thought in mind, I warned Sam that I was headed to the back because some people that I didn't get along with were headed in. She knew my track history of going off on people, so she nodded her head.

I made my way to the back quickly and pulled out my phone. I knew Angel would want to know about this. It was something that was too much. There was no telling what Darius would do if he encountered or saw me. Better yet, there wasn't any telling what I'd do if I encountered. I already had a strong dislike for the man. He was the reason for more than half of the issues brewing in my life right now. Not to mention the nigga had pointed a gun at me.

Dialing Angel's number, I waited impatiently listening to the dial tone and knowing that, this was a job that I'd have to let go of. I hated it, but I could usually tolerate it. It had been money to me, easy money due to the fact that Sam loved me and therefore I received as many hours as I wanted.

"What's up, mami?" Angel greeted.

"We've got a problem, Houston," I responded dryly.

His voice changed from soft and sensual to hard and cold in five seconds flat. "Who's fucking with you?" he questioned.

"No one, yet. Darius is here, though and I'm not trying to deal with his gorilla looking ass. I'm in the back room at work."

He cursed in Spanish a few times, before he sighed deeply. "I'm on my way, right now. Be ready to go. Where the fuck are those two niggas I sent with you?" he questioned.

"In the restaurant. I didn't want to stick around to see what would happen if he saw me."

"Stay back there, Keish," he ordered. "I mean it. No matter what happens or what you hear, don't let Darius see you."

I nodded my head mutely for a moment. I wasn't entirely crazy. "Call me when you get here," I told him.

As I hung up the phone, I could hear raised voices coming from the front of the restaurant and the sounds of beeping as the fry machine went off, along with the timers on the other things in the back. I could just imagine the horror story that this could become, the news story it would become if Angel showed up and Darius had somehow gotten to me. There were too many ways that this could all go wrong. I didn't want any of them to be true. I didn't want to disappear, but something inside of me coiled in tension and I didn't have a good feeling about any of it.

If the screams coming from upfront were any indication, then trouble had arrived and it was closing in on me quickly. I felt like a coward for sitting in the back and hiding, while everyone else was subjected to Darius's temper. He was looking for me, I knew he was. Closing my eyes for a moment, I ran my fingers through my hair. This was not only stressful but frustrating as hell. I looked up with a jolt as I suddenly heard the commotion closer. It wasn't going to be pretty at all.  Darius had managed to make his way around the counter and he was questioning the crew.