Chapter Three: Sister of the Heart

“Yo who the f*ck are you?” the Latino demanded to know, not wavering in his grip on the gun. He kept it firmly aimed at the gun man that had yelled. The other two who stood with him had their guns aimed at the other one. “What the f*ck makes you think you can come out in this b*tch and cause unwarranted drama? You f*cking stupid or something?”

The gunman looked over at him and his friends and then pointed the gun. When he shot the gun screams filled the room all over again. I flinched my heart racing faster than ever before. The bullet had been buried into the wall purposely as a warning.

“Shut the f*ck up and sit down, I ain’t playing with y’all niggas. You want us to go then tell me where the f*ck that nigga, Angel, is.”

No one said anything for a moment and I knew they wouldn’t. We’d all seen him not even ten minutes ago, but to snitch was a death sentence in its own and I wasn’t going to admit that I had been kissing him right before they came in. I wasn’t having anything to do with that at all.

My suspicions were confirmed. They were here for Angel. Why? I wasn’t sure. Hell, if that kiss had even placed the slightest idea of me getting to know him, then this had thrown it out the window all over again. I wasn’t fucking with that nigga. He’d be then got me shot or some other crazy shit. I wouldn’t gone die to talk to him.

“That nigga ain’t here. He left earlier,” one of the two men snapped. The sound of his gun cocking sounded throughout the silent house and I tried to bury myself further into the floor.

Maria was still sobbing and I wanted so badly to go over to her and help her, but I couldn’t. She was trembling. I could see even from half across the room. These niggas had better hope they knew what they was doing, if they didn’t then they were walking dead men. If Angel didn’t get to them first, then Viktor would. Maria was his ride or die. He loved her to the death. I had witnessed what happened when one crossed him or her. It wasn’t pretty.

Maria moved slightly and the gunman narrowed his eyes. “Come here,” he snapped pointing his finger at her.

She didn’t move for a second, then she was stumbling forward.

“Don’t,” the Latino said.

“Just shoot the nigga, already,” the second gunman snapped at the first. “Shoot them all.”

“Sit down,” came Angel’s voice from the entrance to kitchen. He was talking to Maria. After she did so, the second gunman aimed his gun at Maria and shot.

Before I could stop myself, I was on my feet and rushing forward to my friend. As I looked at her, lying there her hair spread out like a fan around her head, a tear escaped down my cheek. “Maria,” I whispered, moving her silently. As I looked down at her, a sob silently escaped me.

Her body was still warm, but her eyes were slightly open and she was breathing deeply as she held one hand to her side. When she looked at me and then down at her hand, blood was beginning to cover it. I didn’t care how much danger we were in, she needed to get to a doctor. At that point I was so angry and scared that I could’ve attacked the gunmen.

He had really shot her!

I couldn’t believe this was happening to her!

This was my homegirl. We had been friends since I was seven years old. We hadn’t always seen each other, but we were always there for each other when the need arose. She had held me when I cried. She’d taken me over to her house and fed me when her own family barely had anything to spare. She had spilled secrets with me. Like of the time when she first lost her virginity to Viktor.