Chapter Twenty-Four: Promises Never Prevail (Part I)

*Been kinda busy with other things lately. I'll try to get the next part up this weekend. This is taking longer than I want to update. I'm working on it though. I'm using my tablet to write and update. Be patient with me. To answer a common question: No the book isn' finished. Not even after this part. I don't know when it'll end. It's not really plotted out to a certain number of chapters.*

Chapter Twenty-Four: Promises Never Prevail

Keish:

After Angel called me, Rome started shaking his head and putting in his input.

"Take it from me,"he lectured, "niggas start off liking their every call answered. After a while that shit gets old and boring. Lead that nigga on a chase. Make him desperate for it."

I looked at him dryly. Angel had already pretty much stalked me from time I was 16 until not too long ago. There was no leading on a chase. It had pretty much already been commenced . Angel had gotten to me somehow . He was like a slow coursing movement through me. He was a part of me. There wasn't any changing that. Rome was trying to help in his own way, but he obviously didn't understand me or how I operated. That was becoming more and more apparent by the moment.

"A bit too late for that," I retorted.

"Well, I'm trying to give advice. Real shit. Niggas don't like clingy women. They like them with just a touch of inconsistencies and elusive. You've got that slight mysterious manner about you. That shit is attractive to me."

I arched an eyebrow at that. I couldn't help but notice that he seemed to be forever complimenting. It was like every chance he got, he did so. I shook my head slightly. As far as I looked at things, Rome only thought he was attracted to me. Though that might possibly only have been me in denial. If there was one thing that I had learned from Monica before she turned to crack it was that men generally meant what they said. If a man was admiring a woman with his eyes then he liked what he saw and if he was trying to chat her up, then he was into doing something than admiring her.

"I don't play games," I told him. "Did it ever occur to you that I don't like clingy niggas? 'Cause I don't. If Angel was the clingy type then that shitt would be a rap in a matter of days. I don't do that shit. I needs my space."

He laughed at that. "You're right, Angel isn't the clingy type, but that niggas is possessive. I've noticed. We should spice up things between you two...All it'd take is a little kiss. He's no doubt on his way to crash this little hang-out of ours."

I rolled my eyes and reached over punching him in the shoulder hard. "You think you slick, huh?" I asked with a slight smile touching the corner of my lips. "Well, I'm not kissing you. Nice try."

He shrugged. "Your loss," he replied playfully. "Don't come begging me later for my kisses."

I laughed. "You so stupid."

He chuckled. "All that shorties love it though," he responded.

I looked out the window shaking my head a slight grin touching my lips at his words. He was silly as hell, but admittedly it was something that I didn't mind. I couldn't lie to myself, I admired that about him. I liked the way Rome looked and everything, but I wouldn't be more to him--couldn't be more to him. Angel was mine and I was content with him. Maybe if I hadn't met Angel and been into him, then it would've been Rome. Nah, who was I kidding. Rome wouldn't be able to deal with me and I wouldn't be able to deal with him and all of his hos. I'd kill the first man that cheated on me.

I needed to get those thoughts out of my head. They'd lead to nothing but trouble and drama, which I didn't need any more of. Biting my bottom lip I looked out the window of the car as Rome pulled into the parking lot of a building that looked like it could either be a restaurant or a bar. Miguel and Ale had asked to see me through a text and I had agreed because they were friends of mine. Regardless of what Tio was on, they were still my friends. I couldn't wait to see them. Lately I had been needing to have some familiarity in my life. All of this shit that had been going on lately were complicated and nothing that I was used to.