Chapter Four: Come Again

Three years later…

Bang. Bang.

The pounding on the front door resounded in my ears and I moved to my feet, my face immediately screwing into a scowl. Didn’t nobody come knocking on door like that other than my crack head mom. She had come knocking on my door after Ambrianna’s funeral thinking that I’d give her freeloading ass a place to live. I hadn’t. I wouldn’t. She wasn’t going to be a part of my life until she got her shit together. I was still in the apartment that Ambrianna and Angel had been paying rent in.

I paid for it all by myself. I didn’t like the idea of depending on Angel. I wasn’t even on speaking terms with him. He had moved to a bigger and better place. He was living on some other part of the city and his old section of apartments might as well had been the trap house. He still came through to check on production and his money. I had almost encountered him a few times, but luckily I had been able to head in the opposite direction.

Ambrianna’s death had caused even more tension between us because I blamed him for her death and Maria’s permanent injury. People searching for him had been the causes of both events. I had lost my mentor, best friend and mother figure. My best friend had a damaged kidney because of him. The funny thing was that neither Maria nor Viktor weren’t even mad at him. The two of them thought I was retarded for being mad at him.

“That’s some cold twisted shit, Keish,” Maria had told me one day. “He lost his sister, I’m sure he’s got enough guilt and pain on his shoulders. You’re being a bitch. Give the man a break. I’m alive and well. It’s not his fault that idiot shot me. Viktor and I are on the way of having our first child. You need to move on and start living your life. It’s too short to waste it on blaming him for everyone else’s crimes.”

I had contemplated her words. I had actually been ready to start thinking of other things, until that night when I went to the club. He just so happened to be there. A shootout between his crew and a rival crew had shut down the club and left two people dead and three injured. It had reaffirmed my opinion that if he just stayed his ass home then no one would get hurt because he wouldn’t be present.

Being around him was lethal as far as I was concerned. Everywhere he went drama followed. There was no escaping it in his presence.

Maria thought that I was too harsh on him and that I secretly was bitter because I had started liking him and then he had “crushed” my dreams of happily ever after with him. I wasn’t in agreement with that. I was angry because people I cared about kept getting hurt whenever he was around. So, what if it made me a cold bitch.

I was sticking up for my peeps.

When Maria and Viktor’s child came into the world five months from now, I was going to do everything in my power to keep him away. He was like a magnet for bad luck or something. Wherever he went death followed. It was his life. His world. He wasn’t bringing that around my godchild. I’d kill him first. He was—

Bang. Bang.

Damn, momma must’ve still been at the door. I didn’t even understand her desperate ass. She came to my door every night begging for money and shit. I wasn’t gone give it to her. I worked hard for my money. I had two full time jobs and a part time job. I wasn’t giving my labored money for her to go get fixed off some crack. She wasn’t staying her either. If she wanted me to help her. I’d do it by sending her off to rehab to work on getting rid of that addiction she had.

Moving to my feet, I scowled and stormed towards the door. Her old ass was always begging for something. Why couldn’t she just get a job like normal people and then get high with that money? Damn, I was tired of her crack fiend ass. I didn’t have patience for people anymore, especially not her. Pulling the door open, I shouted, “What? What do you want now? Damn.”