October - Halloween

Laura's POV

I'm not even up when I hear the doorbell ring for the first time today. I roll over and check my clock on my bedside table. It's not even half past nine. I groan internally to myself before finding the energy to pull myself out of bed. The doorbell rings again.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." I yell as I run downstairs in my pyjamas. Through the fogged glass of the door, I can see a figure standing there with their arms full. "Moring." I say through a yawn at Maddie who is standing on my front doorstep.

"Someone obviously didn't get all their beauty sleep last night." She says to me while grinning. I realise that I must look like a right mess. I haven't had chance to brush my hair yet so it is a black, tangled mess on top of my head. My face is make-up free and I'm wearing my old Winnie the Pooh pyjamas that have holes in. I definitely don't look like I have had very much beauty sleep at all.

"I must have slept in. Thanks for coming though. Are those some of the decorations?" I ask while taking one of the bags from her hands and I take it into the kitchen.

"Yeah, that bag is banners and some lights. This one here is paper cups and plates. And this one has my costume in." Maddie explains to me while lifting the other bags that she is carrying.

"You can leave the bag with the cups and plates down here and take your costume upstairs if you want. I'm just going to go and get changed so would you mind answering the door if the others come while I'm up there?" I ask her.

"Of course I will." She says back.

I make my way upstairs and jump into the shower. The original plan was to have a quick one, jump straight in and then straight out but as soon as the warm water touches my skin I am unable to move. Eventually I am spurred to move by the doorbell ringing again. I scrub myself clean and hop right out. I can hear muffled voices coming from downstairs, it sounds like more than one person arrived. My guess is that it is Kristen and Cory.

I find an old blue top to wear along with some jeans. I quickly go and brush my teeth and then my hair and I'm done.

"Hey guys," I say while running down the stairs, again, "I was just getting changed. I slept in." I explain to them. I was right, it is Kristen and Cory.

Kristen walks over to me and gives me a hug, "Don't worry about it honey. Is it only Adam who is left to arrive?" she asks me.

Nodding at her, I tell her that she is right. "Any decorations can go in the kitchen and costumes upstairs." I tell the two of them and I watch as the two of them swap bags so one goes to the kitchen and the other upstairs.

"Look at Kristen actually dating someone. She sees to like him." Maddie says to me.

"How long do you think that will last?" I whisper to her.

Laughing at me she answer "a couple of months at the most probably. He's a nice guy but we all know that Kristen has a commitment phobia." Maddie replies and I can't help but laugh because I know it's true.

Adam arrives just before half ten and we can finally get round to decorating the house for the Halloween party. He and I begin working on the stairs, pinning 'danger' banners across them along with lights along the side.

"What's your costume?" he asks me while we are working.

"I'm not telling you. It's a surprise." I say to him but it's hard to hide the smile that creeps across my face.

"Will I like it?"

"I think you will." I laugh and roll my eyes at him.

For a while now there has been something between the two of us. We sneak glances at each other when we can, always laugh at each other's jokes and just the general wanting to be around each other. The two of us just don't know how the others would act to this though.