December (Part One)

From my bedroom window, I watch as snow begins to fall onto the ground, creating a blank canvas that it just waiting to be stepped in. I only turn away when my stomach begins to churn so I dash over to the toilet. The morning sickness only started a few days ago and has been waking me up every morning since, except from today. I was having trouble sleeping; my mind was too preoccupied with thoughts of the baby.

I splash my face with some water and decide that I might as well get ready for school. I don't actually need to be there for another two hours but I know that I won't get any more sleep. With my uniform on, I make my way downstairs and get some breakfast. I manage to eat a slice of toast before turning on the morning news, the main headline being the snow because apparently the country does not how to cope with it.

"Hey, you're up early." My mum says to me when she comes down stairs.

"I had trouble sleeping." I tell her and she nods her head as if she understands.

Taking her cup of coffee, my mum sits down next to me, a frown takes over her face.

"You haven't done much this weekend. Were your friends not going out?" she asks, while taking a sip of her drink.

"They probably were but I didn't feel like it." I say.

How am I supposed to go out with my friends and act like everything is normal when it is far from it? I only just managed to get through school last week without losing my head, I definitely would not have been able to cope with the weekend as well.

"Hmm, well if I were you, I wouldn't cut them out of your life Kristen." My mum then says, pressing her lips together to create a thin line, something she has been doing quite a lot over the last few days.

"I know." I say before grabbing my school bag and coat, making my way outside.

The cool air begins to calm me down as soon as I step outside. I am the first person in my street to walk in the snow and like a small child that pleases me. I focus on each footprint I create, trying to make them as neat as I can so if someone started following them, they would be able to keep track. All that work is for nothing when I reach my school where there are footprints everywhere. It was nice to have the distraction while it lasted.

Heat radiates from the entrance of the school, making me feel thankful that they open it earlier in winter so we don't have to stay outside in the cold. Taking my seat in tutor, I get some of my books out to do some studying as I am the first one here. No matter how many times I read over compounds for chemistry, it never makes any sense. I only stop when I feel someone hovering next to me.

"You're here early today." Adam says to me, taking the seat next to mine.

"I could say the same to you." I say back to him.

"I'm normally this early. You, on the other hand Kristen, normally get here just as the bell goes."

"New year, new me and all of that."

"Kristen, there is literally three weeks left of this year, I think you are bit late with that."

"Whatever." I say, closing the chemistry book which ended up being useless.

Adam starts to tell me about his weekend but then Maddie walks in, soon followed by Laura.

"Do my eyes deceive me or is Kristen Mason actually sitting there?" Laura asks with a wicked grin on her face.

"It's a new year, new her apparently." Adam tells them with one of his eyebrows raised.

I can feel a not begin to form in the pit of my stomach, even though I laugh along with the other three, I can't shake off the feeling that they will find out somehow. I just want to forget about the whole situation.