May

Just yesterday felt like September, running to school, trying not to be late, wondering how the year will be and now it is May. The exams are only a week away and are the only thing that anyone talks about. Heads are constantly stuck in books as people fret about the exams. I just wish I had listened more at the start of the year, instead of thinking that I don't need to listen because the exams are so far away.

Looking across the dining room in school, all I see are books spread out across tables, even in front of me, Laura and Maddie are quizzing each other on the books for English literature. Even Adam is sat there with a very confused look on his face as he struggles his way through numerous maths equations. I have a book open in front of me but I'm too preoccupied to even concentrate.

"Why are you going over maths when that is one of the last exams?" Cory asks Adam when he finally comes and joins us, near the end of lunch.

"I feel okay about some of my first exams. This is the one I am most worried about. Anyway, where have you been?"

"We got let out late of History. My teacher decided it was a god time to give us a motivational speech about how we can do well if we just keep working hard. If you ask me it was just of waste of my time because I could have been working hard in the time where she did the speech." Cory moans at us.

"That's teachers for you." I butt into their conversation.

Nothing changes throughout the week, revision becomes our life. At school the teachers give us mock exams to do, during breaks we have our heads stuck in books and then when we get home, more revision. Unlike everyone else, I have the extra pressure of getting ready for a baby as well, making everything even harder.

The first day of exams in soon here, two in one day. In the morning I have English literature soon followed by performing arts at the end of the day. At least that will be two exams I can cross off of the list by the end of the day. I line up with everyone else, outside the exam hall until my name is called.

"Kristen Mason, row nine." The headmaster calls after a few minutes and I make my way into the room. Half of the year is already sat down and I can see that Laura is sat just a few seats away from me. I have to wait for a few more moments until everyone has been called in before actually starting the exam.

The first few questions are easy to answer and it makes me feel quite confident on the rest of the exam. I make my way through it quite easily; answering the questions in plenty of detail until the invigilator calls out there is only five minutes of the exam left. I still have two questions left that need to be answered so I end rushing them. I groan to myself in frustration. It was going so well up until then.

"How did everyone find it?" Adam asks us all but before he can finish I interrupt him.

"I don't want to talk about it. This also means I don't want to hear about what you guys put either." I shoot them all a look saying 'I dare you to mention it'. Nobody does which makes me feel glad because I don't think I could bear to hear about everyone else's success stories.

Most people are now heading towards the school's dining room because lunch is about to start but we, and a few others that include Skye, head towards the performing arts studio so we can fit in some extra rehearsal time. I still find it awkward to be around Reynolds but he has made it easier by acting as if I never knew about the situation between him and my mum. Maybe he doesn't know that I know about it. I certainly won't be asking him if he knows.

We get into the groups that we are performing in and begin rehearsing straight away while also trying to eat our lunch. Luckily everyone in my group knows their lines and exactly what they are doing on stage and when. It makes us all feel more confident. The lunch hour goes to fast and suddenly the bell rings meaning the exam is about to start. Luckily our group is able to go first, meaning we can get it over and done with. The performance goes well, which makes me feel better about the day in general, almost forgetting about the English exam earlier.