July (Part Two)

An hour passes and no one has arrived. The five of us are still trapped inside the lift which is getting incredibly stuffy now.

"How is no one here yet?" I scream to no one in particular but everyone looks at me. Granted there are only four other people in the room and absolutely nothing else to do.

"Technically the paramedics are here but they can't do anything until the technician comes. Hopefully that will be soon though." Maddie says and she sounds quite irritated and I can't say I blame her. This is no one's idea of a perfect situation and is definitely not what I had in mind when I thought about giving birth.

"Has the time between contractions decreased at all yet? And how long are they lasting?" A voice on the other end of the speaker asks which I assume is one of the paramedics.

"They're about seven minutes apart and last for about thirty seconds." Adam says. He has put himself in charge with communicating to the people on the other end so he can help out that way without having to do anything else. I don't blame him either.

Not long after Adam has told the paramedics about the contractions, I feel another one.

"That. Was. Not. Seven. Minutes." I groan during the pain while clutching onto Cory who is sat at the side of me. Like me, he seems to be in shock but he does the best that he can.

On the other side of me is Laura who seems to be doing more but I'm not paying that much attention because my mind is elsewhere. I do know that she is the one who keeps telling me everything will be okay. Everyone else looks panicked. I hear Adam mumble something about how the contractions are now closer to five minutes apart and are lasting longer. For a moment there is silence on the other end and then one of the paramedics speaks up.

"It seems like Kristen is getting closer to the delivery stage of labour. Once the contractions are around three to five minutes apart and are lasting for forty to ninety seconds, she should be close to giving birth. It seems that her labour is moving quite fast so definitely start preparing yourselves." The voice on the other says which make me groan in frustration. I'm really not ready for this.

"I'm not giving birth in a lift." I say in between contractions when I can actually form a sentence. "Wait what are you doing?"I say to Maddie who is on her phone.

"Trying to find out the best way to deliver a baby. The paramedic guy said we need to prepare ourselves."  She says to me, still sounding irritated.

"I blame you for all of this." I say looking at Cory which gets some kind of response out of him.

"Me? I didn't break the lift."

"I don't mean that." I say through my teeth and point to my bump. "I mean this. And I also blame Laura a little bit."

"Why me?" she asks looking confused

"It was your party and your alcohol that got us into this mess." I meant this to be a joke but another contraction hit and instead I screamed it.

"Try moving onto all fours. It might take away some of the pain." Maddie suggests looking up from her phone.

I move into that position, leaning on my arms as if I am an animal and it does take away some of the pain. Cory seems to have sprung into life as well now by taking Laura's job of telling me everything will be alright. "This website also says that we should keep the mum as calmed and relaxed as possible so Kristen if you could relax that would be great." Maddie also says.

I don't understand how I am supposed to remain calm. Maybe if I were in a hospital or even at home I would be able to but I am trapped in an elevator with no medically trained professionals, no pain relief and a group of teenagers who are as fed up as me. Also this floor isn't comfy. Anything could go wrong at any time and we wouldn't be able to fix it. I can't really stay calm.