February (Part Two)

I wake up with Cory lying beside me in bed. He is still fast asleep and I can feel his chest moving up and down as he breathes. For the briefest moment, everything is peaceful, close to perfect but then the feeling of dread builds up in the pit of my stomach. The night before comes flooding back to me, the thought of Cory having to move back to London before the baby is even born. I look over at him sleeping in my bed, wishing that the most stressful thing in our life is the exams.

I get out of bed as quietly as I can and make my way downstairs, leaving Cory asleep in my bed. Settling down onto the sofa, I grab my laptop and start browsing through some pregnancy websites, finding out what I should expect over the next few months. I start off by looking at what I should expect now; I've just turned sixteen weeks pregnant. A lot of the websites are saying the same things that headaches will become more common and the baby is now the size of an avocado.

For the next half an hour, I keep scrolling through numerous websites, becoming completely engrossed with what I am reading. I become so engrossed that I don't hear Cory come down the stairs and only realise once he has his hands on my shoulders.

"Morning." He says to me with his voice groggy from just waking up and he walks around the sofa so he is sitting next to me.

"Morning." I reply back to him with my own voice sounding more awake. To say he was asleep when I left him, he doesn't look like he has had much rest. His eyes look tired and heavy and not the normal bright green that they are. "Did you get much sleep?" I ask him.

His answer of 'no' doesn't surprise me. I can understand the sleepless nights when you have too much on your mind because I have been having plenty of them myself. His skin seems paler from the lack of sleep and worry that is on his mind though so in turn, I begin to worry about him.

"What do you think will happen today, Kris?" Cory asks after a few moments and I know that we can't avoid this topic.

"All I know is that something will definitely get agreed on." I try and reassure him but I don't really know what to say. I don't even want to think about the possibility of Cory moving back to London, leaving me here by myself.

"What if that means moving to London?"

"Let's not think about that just yet. Neither of us knows how it will end yet. Remember that." I say to him. "Instead why don't we just focus on breakfast? Most important meal of the day, even if it is nearly time for lunch."  I try and joke with him.

The two of us decide to make a full English breakfast. I forget sometimes how much I enjoy cooking, even if it is only simple things like sausages and bacon. It makes me feel in control of my life, like I can make the food do what I want it to. It is not until we are about half way through eating the food that I realise I have not seen my mum today.

"Maybe she has already gone to mine to speak to my mum and dad?" Cory suggests but I'm not too sure.

"I don't know. I'm not entirely sure she came back last night; I don't ever remember hearing the door open. Hopefully, if that is the case, she has spent the night at her date's house but I don't really want to think about that." I say to Cory who agrees with me.

The last thing I need to be doing is worrying about where my own mother could be. "I'll call her.  For all we know she might already be at your parents' house. In fairness it is the afternoon now." I try and reassure myself more than anyone else.

I pick my phone up and dial my mum's number straight away. It rings a few times before she eventually answers but when she does, I breathe out a sigh of relief.

"Everything alright?" she asks me when she answers the phone as if she hasn't been out all night.

"Yes, I was just wondering if you were round at Cory's parents yet." I try and act cool.