Chapter Twenty-Four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR 

May, June, July.

Scott had quickly integrated into the Massachusetts General Hospital, in Fruit St, just south of the Charles River. It had over 900 beds in a complex of rectangular high-rise buildings with river views. The main public entrance had eight imposing colonnades which reflected the status of one of the major hospitals on the East Coast.. Scott had been assigned to the general surgery unit, and to support surgical work in the Emergency Room.

Emily had found a house to rent and in two weeks they had moved into a property. It had steps up to the front door from the tree-lined street. Wooden floors throughout gave it a modern feel with a small sun deck at the back for the summer. The neighbours were welcoming and soon Scott and Emily hosted a drinks party for their friends.

The first two weekends were spent in Boston buying essential items for their rental until they were in a position for Emily to hunt down the remaining pieces during the week, while Scott worked. Emily would do the planning for trips out of Boston, beginning Friday evening and returning Sunday evening. The favourite destinations were Cape Cod, Maine and Vermont.

For the 4th of July celebrations they travelled to see friends from the hospital who had invited Scott and Emily to stay and join the party at their holiday home in the forests of Vermont. 

The first two months in Boston had been a whirlwind and had gone by so fast.

On the 20th July, Emily took her first trip back to the UK for a week in London.

-O-

Emily knew what was in her Swiss bank account. She had looked at it recently in Boston and was shocked. The temptation to phone Jessica or text her had been overwhelming and she had nearly done it. Then Emily remembered her work experience in GCHQ at Cheltenham and the capability of their listening devices. She therefore resisted her impulse to tell Jess what she had found until Emily could talk to Jess face to face.

In the taxi from Heathrow to London, Emily phoned Jessica. 'Can we meet, Jess?'

'Love to. I've told the employment agency not to give me any work for the next seven days while you're over here.'

'Can I see you straight away?'

'Em, you sound worried. What's wrong?'

'Tell you when I see you.'

'When will you be at your flat?'

'About half an hour.'

'I'll be there.'

Emily could feel her energy return as Jess poured their third large cup of strong coffee. They both looked at the open laptop on the table.

Jessica scrunched her eyebrows and looked at the monitor again. 'How many noughts are there?' 

'Six.'

'So, there's no mistake. I'm looking at two million.'

'Yup. Shit. Shit I'm in trouble.'

'Return it. Put it back. Transfer the money back.'

It doesn't work like that, Jess. I can't commit a heist and then return the money for fear I'm going to be discovered. The crime was committed. Go to jail.'

'Tell me again how this happened.'

'For some reason I set the programme to take the 'loose change' for every day, instead of one more day. Being in Boston I forgot to check and by the time I did, well, there it was. Two million, give or take.' Emily took a gulp of coffee.