Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE 

Emily got up at the usual time on Monday as if she were going to work. She showered and dressed in baggy, Oxford blue university sweatpants, a dark blue which was ideal for mucking around. On her top she wore a grey, long sleeve polo shirt, which used to be owned by a boyfriend from school days, the garment being too big for Emily. But she loved the over-size, too floppy, sleeves too long, feel to it. Today she wore no bra.

The kitchen smelt of daffodils, part of the lovely bunch of flowers from Scott. The label read, can't get you out of my mind. After breakfast, Emily opened up her computer. This was going to be her work from now on. She went into the Department of Health website, typed an encryption code which she had when employed by them, and signed on to give her access to Bossman's computer, and attached herself to the cookie to verify she could still look around his machine. The Asian porn had been wiped out. Good, thought Emily, it was easier to install a programme without that spam prancing around the system. She checked the transaction to her fictitious company in which she had created a Supplier record. Everything appeared to be in order and the dummy invoices had been approved by Bossman, although he wouldn't know this.

While Emily worked, she did have a jab of guilt, a moment when she asked herself to justify what she was doing. There was no logical explanation, she admitted, only anger at her lecherous boss and a need to have some money. She could also argue it was Emily's way to stop Jessica becoming an escort. None of these were acceptable. Emily simply resigned herself to breaking the law and telling nobody, except Jess. It was Emily's dark secret.

Emily logged out and went to a programme to enable her to write her own software. This time, Emily would make sure there remained a robust masking tactic to prevent the Government tracing the work back to Emily. Her concern was GCHQ, the UK listening centre, equivalent to the National Security Agency in the US. Emily's visit and work placement at GCHQ, while at Oxford, had given her the insight needed to get round the defence infrastructure for  Government departments.

Emily spent the morning writing her software, until Jessica texted and ten minutes later she breezed in.

'Snap,' she said, looking at the Oxford sweatpants worn by Emily. Both girls wore the same bottoms, with Jessica sporting a white button shirt over a pink bra.

'Love the sunglasses,' said Emily, 'let's try.' The bright yellow plastic looked sensational on Emily in the same way they did on Jessica. The orange UV lenses made the world look a lovely place. 'Where did you get these, Jess?'

'Oh, some photo shoot for Louisaviaroma. Look they fold up into a ball so you can put them easily into your bag.' Jessica showed Emily. 'You can have them.'

'Couldn't possibly . . .'

'On one condition, Em.'

'Anything babe.'

'Kiss me. Like a man does. And play with me.' Jessica tilted her head, just like Emily did. 'You asked me before if I was interested in sex with you. Now's your chance.

Emily's heart missed at least three beats. Her stomach washed out and made her want to go to the loo. She had wanted to say this same thing to Jess for a long time. Too shy. Now she didn't dare speak for fear of saying the wrong thing. Emily wanted to say, yes yes yes, I'll do anything you want. All she could do was nod her head in agreement.

-O-

Scott stood at the bar and waited for Viki to arrive. She was always five minutes late and she expected the other person to arrive on time. Some things never change, mused Scott. They kissed on both cheeks.