Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN 

Emily was genuinely sorry for Scott. During the lunch, he recounted the incident of the vibrat0r in the fridge. 

'Sorry, Scott, I really am. If I had thought about it . . . I was being childish and it was stupid.'

'I'm not blaming you, Emily. I deserved it.' He shrugged. 'You let me know how you felt.'

Emily took in every detail of the man opposite her. Smart, handsome, successful; with lovely dark eyes and a haircut which was too long for a surgeon. It dawned on her that she now saw Scott in a more positive light; the result of making love in her bed after the boat incident. Emily had seen his gentle side and his genuine remorse at how he had treated her. Their chats by mobile, and their texts, had melted Emily's first impressions of Scott. She was ready to try again, to have a loving relationship, and she looked forward to it.

She was already feeling sexy by the time he asked if she was free this evening, after he finished work. 'To be quite honest,' he said, 'I've got a lot to learn about . . . you know . . .you. And how to . . . ' He stopped as the waiter came to take their plates away. Emily could see he remained embarrassed at what he wanted to say. She guessed anyway, but thought it amusing to see Scott struggle.

He continued, 'It's just that I want to do it properly . . . umm, to make it good for you.' He nodded his head as if to say do you understand what I'm saying.

Emily didn't want to let him off the hook, since it was one of the main let-downs of his love making. 'Do you mean, Scott, you want me to show you, teach you, how to satisfy me?'

'Yes.' He no longer had his confident look that all surgeons have. Gone was the smooth bedside manner.

'Haven't you had anyone else mention this? Past girlfriends?'

'No. I've never really thought about it. I just assumed I was okay.'

'Women don't usually complain about the sex. They get satisfaction from the whole package, personality, humour, kindness. Men are often bad lovers; they don't know where the sensitive spots are, or what to do; and they don't know how to hold back.' 

'Will you give me Lesson One tonight please?'

-O-

Scott had always been a guy who thought he knew exactly how to satisfy a girl. Until Emily came along and told him the truth.

He had to admit to himself that his whole afternoon had been a distraction, an Emily distraction. After returning from lunch, Scott had a succession of appointments with patients who had been referred to hospital by their GP's. These General Practitioners worked in local communities and if a patient of theirs needed to see a specialist, the GP would arrange a consultation with the relevant surgeon. This was a free service on the NHS, the funding of which came from the Department of Health. For Scott, these afternoons were always busy, but today the hours dragged by, as Scott's subconscious reminded him about Emily's promise. Lesson One.

Although Scott prided himself in being able to compartmentalise his brain, so that he concentrated on one thing at a time, he struggled this afternoon. He caught himself, while having a quick tea break, thinking what Emily might teach him. His stomach churned until he got a grip of his thoughts and returned to his desk.

He managed to get away at seven o'clock, texted Emily, got a taxi back to his flat, showered and changed into a black roll neck, fawn chinos and suede sneakers with orange laces, before he made his way over to Emily.

In the taxi to her flat, Scott reflected. In a funny way, he didn't regard Emily's comments on his sex technique as a bad thing. If he had something to learn, he wanted to know about it; if he was lacking in that department, he would much rather be told; and if he could make it better for Emily, he had better pay attention. Otherwise this girl might walk out of his life. He had already summed her up as feisty and direct, more so than any other girl he had dated.