Chapter Twenty-Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO 

Emily drove the BMW, hood down, out of Geneva and made for the road that skirted Lake Geneva on the West side. She kept the speed down so that they could admire the views. 

'Are you safe now?' Jessica's question had come at the end of a discussion about Emily's Swiss bank.

'Hope so. The least you know about the detail, the better.' Emily had spent a couple of hours at the bank to make arrangements to take her name off the account. It was now a company name, with nominated directors appointed by the bank.

'Do you feel guilty, Em?'

'Yes. It somehow happened, as a laugh to start with, to get back at Mr 'Lecher' at the Department.' Emily thought about that horrible man with horrible searching eyes. 'I justified it, I suppose, as salary they owed me.'

'It should have ended there.'

'Yup, you're right. Having hacked in, I just set up this small change thing, without really thinking. It looked so easy, it became a challenge . . .'

'Like a dare. To see if you could get away with it.'

'More of a challenge. To do it without discovery.'

They stopped at Montreux on the lake and had lunch. Jessica had her mobile searching for places to see. 'Let's go to Zermatt. It's high in the mountains. What do you think?'

Just then, Emily's mobile buzzed. 'Scott, how are you?' She was pleased to hear him again. 

'I'm on a lunch break. I miss you, Emily.'

We're having lunch as well. Gorgeous cafe in Montreux.'

'You heading home now?'

'We're so close to the mountains, we thought of heading up to Zermatt.' She winked at Jessica who gave the thumbs up.

'But you're not going to make it back for the weekend.' Scott had said this extra fast and was obviously worried. Or was it annoyance? Emily couldn't tell.

'Does it matter if I skip this weekend?' Emily felt she shouldn't have put on an argumentative voice. It sounded like she was a spoilt kid. 'We're in the Alps, for Christ's sake, Scott. Give me a break.'

'I want you here. I thought we were an item.' 

Emily picked up on the anger in his words. She retorted, 'you don't own me.' 

'Obviously not. And why did you cut me off yesterday evening when I phoned?'

'I didn't cut you off.' Emily knew this was a lie, but she couldn't say, oh yeah, I switched off our call because my friend here started pushing my thong across my p*ssy. 'We lost connection.'

Jess was nodding her head and mouthing the words, I made you come. Tell him.

Emily couldn't help a small chuckle at Jessica.

Scott must have heard. 'So, that's why you're laughing. I don't believe your story of a lost connection. And I don't want to see you this weekend. Stay over there, as far as I'm concerned.' 

Emily was just about to try and defuse the argument, but realised Scott had gone.

Jess reached over to hold Emily's hand and said, 'he'll get over it. When you get back, go round to his place, say you're sorry, and let him f*ck your brains out.'

'You always did have a way, Jess, of getting to the heart of the matter.' 

-O-

Scott thought over his conversation with Emily. He could have handled it better. He could kick himself for his choice of words, his tone and cutting her off. He was better than that. On the other hand, he reasoned, it may have sent a message to Emily that he wanted her by his side, as a couple. And he was clearly upset at not spending the weekend together. Which way would Emily react, he wondered?