Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN 

Emily and Scott got up late. It was Saturday, and the combination of jet lag and Scott's interviews had sapped his energy. Emily recognised this and slumbered in the huge double bed. She read from her Kobo Aura eReader with it's light display to make it easy to read in the subdued light.

She felt Scott stir. She swung her legs out of bed and switched on the room kettle. Five minutes later, Emily sat on the edge of the bed, tea cup in hand, and kissed Scott's mangled hair.

'How long have you been awake?' mumbled Scott as he looked at his watch.

'Been awake, reading.' She felt like saying, I've been awake, gagging for it, randy as hell, but thought it would delay the whole day. Any full on sex required time, and it was time to get downstairs for breakfast.

'Reading what?' said Scott, as he propped himself up on his elbow to sip his tea.

'James Patterson.' She knew it wasn't Scott's sort of author, but Emily loved the pace, the short chapters and the suspense. 'Let's get a move on,' she said, and jumped up from the bed, nearly knocking the tea out of Scott's hand. Emily drew the curtains back to reveal a blue sky. She lingered in front of the window, not to look at the view outside, more to let Scott see the view from his viewpoint. Her legs apart, Emily couldn't resist the pose. She had the instinct of a girl on heat, the bright light outside would outline her body, through the thin fabric of the loose negligee. 

She checked herself, swiftly turned and made her way to the bathroom. 'Let's do some sight seeing. We can play later.'

Emily climbed to the upper deck of the bright green and yellow bus. The hop-on, hop-off, all day ticket took them East down Boylston Street towards the Theatre District and Chinatown. From there it would do a loop of all the interesting places to see, before the route wound it's way back to the starting point. Buses ran every fifteen minutes.

The sun made Emily fish out her sunglasses, plastic yellow frames with reflective orange lenses.

Scott looked over. 'Wow, they're nice. Where did you get those?'

'Actually, a friend gave them to me.' Emily thought of the circumstances in which Jessica had insisted Emily keep her stylish glasses. 

'Male?'

'Jealous? 

Scott shrugged his shoulders, but she got the impression he wanted to know more.

Emily said, 'she's a girlfriend.' This put his mind at rest, but Emily mused how funny it was that men relaxed with the idea of the 'girlfriend', but ignored that girls could have a sexual relationship, which might be worse than a male friend.

Scott nudged her. 'I haven't met any of your friends, except Nicki.'

That caused Emily to smile. Scott had, in fact, already met Jessica, although he thought it was Emily, when he took her to buy shoes at Harrods.

'You're smiling?' said Scott.

'My friends know about you, but I keep them away for the moment. All in good time.' She assumed these complications would go away when he started work in Boston. To meet Jessica may lead him to wonder if the two girls had ever swapped dates with him. 

She wanted to change the subject. 'If I'm going to be here with you, I could look for a job in Boston.'

'I think they're quite strict in the US, but I'm sure there would be some sort of Work Visa you could get. They would take up a whole bunch of references, I'm sure.' Scott fell silent and looked out the window. Emily imagined the worst; that he would reject her when he found out the truth of her sacking; that he would leave her and cast her aside; and her relationship would fall apart.