Chapter Twenty-One. Emily and Jessica.

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE  

When his bedside alarm buzzed, Scott was not happy. Since the news that Emily was in France, heading for Switzerland, he hadn't heard from her. 

Scott reached for his phone. He left another message, followed by a text. He looked at his watch and calculated Emily might still be in bed.

The schedule of operations were due to begin at nine o'clock, but Scott had to be at Guy's at least an hour earlier, so there wasn't any time to wait for a reply from Emily.

-O-

Emily and Jessica had played earlier and then gone back to sleep. They slept late. Emily woke in the centre of the bed on account of the dip in the middle of the old mattress. Jessica had been pushed to the side and lay on her back with earbuds, listening to music.

Emily looked at her best friend and pulled out the nearest white lead connected to Jessica's ear. 'What time is it?'

'Nine. You snore. Lightly, but it's still classified as snoring.'

'Thanks.'

'Thanks for saying you snore?' grinned Jessica, 'or thanks for what we did two hours ago?'

Emily thought back and let her brain get into gear. 'Thanks for everything.' She rolled over to look at her mobile. 'Oh heck. Scott has left some messages.' 

Jess brought her ear next to Emily's mobile, so she could also listen. 'He doesn't sound very amused,' said Jessica.

'Amused?'

'Text him back something to get his spirits up.' Jessica with a wicked expression on her face. 'Text back the details of what we did earlier. He'll like that. He wants you to enjoy yourself.'

'Shush, Jess. You know damn well he would go ape-shit.' Emily quickly sent a text back to Scott.

Jess widened her eyes as if a thought had just struck her. 'Tell Scott if he gets angry, he'll have me to deal with.'

'No way.'

'I like him,' said Jessica, 'and if you get fed up with him, I'll take over.'

If that remark had come from anyone else, Emily would have felt threatened. But she knew Jess wouldn't go anywhere near Scott unless Emily agreed. 'I know. Now, let's get down for breakfast.'

Emily gunned the sports BMW into third gear and pushed the accelerator to the floor to overtake the car in front. The wind roared in their ears. As she took the gear change to 4th and 5th, the speed escalated up to 95 miles per hour before she realised a French Police motorcyclist was trailing her. 

'Shit.'

Jessica turned round to look back, her hair all over the place, being blown by the wind. 'Eh, oh. This'll be fun.'

Emily couldn't help the smile. 'Everything is fun to you.'

The cop stopped them on the hard shoulder. He looked large in his leathers and helmet.

Jessica said, 'In France they call them 'flicks'. He looks sexy.' She hitched up a knee to balance on the dashboard, and by so doing, showed ample thigh. She wore a casual red shirt dress, a one garment piece that flopped from neck to knee with a tie cord round her waist. The buttons all the way down were 50% undone, to let the warm air caress her body. She wore no bra or shoes.      

Emily wore a black short skirt and white shirt with rolled up sleeves which gave the impression she meant business. She took off her yellow sunglasses.

The cop looked down into the car. He took off his regulation glasses and maintained a serious face. His French conversation was fast and Emily hadn't a clue what he said. He held his hand out for some identification, and Emily passed over their passports. She could tell he looked more often at Jessica, or rather her body, while he examined their passports. He asked a question in French and Emily got the impression it was about their destination.