Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE  

Scott had just finished his last operation for the day. He changed into his suit and got ready to do a check of his patients in the wards. He would concentrate on that before he turned his thoughts to the one thing that niggled him. Emily. Even though he wanted to figure out the girl at the Ritz, to sort out his own mind, he wouldn't think about it just yet. Scott had the ability to allocate thoughts to compartments, to concentrate on one thing at a time, without letting other emotions crowd in. He felt this was especially important in his work, since the focus needed in medical work was vital. And his number one priority was his career. Not women.

An hour later he walked out of the hospital having completed his rounds. He had looked at clipboards containing charts, made small-talk with each person, and applied his charm. He was always accompanied by a nurse who would watch, be impressed and gossip with other staff over Scott's ability. He knew how important these rounds were, not only for the individual in the bed, but also for his reputation. 

Which was exactly why Scott would never have sex with any of the nurses. Some of them were clearly ready for it, and wanted nothing better than have a surgeon bonk them. He guessed it had something to do with his status, perceived power, money and who knows. But for Scott it was a no-brainer. He stuck to his rule: no relationships with any of the staff. Even though some of the nurses made him horney. He knew that if he f*cked any of those girls, the news would be round the hospital before he could say ''jack rabbit''. And then the rumours would filter up to the people that mattered in Guy's Hospital. And having sex with staff doesn't earn points, as far as Scott was concerned.

The Porsche Cayman stood in the parking bay and did a 'yelp' as he pressed the key in his hand. Scott climbed in and relaxed into the sand coloured, leather bucket seat. The Boxer engine, positioned behind his seat, roared into life. The top speed of 165 miles per hour, and the acceleration from 0 to 60 in five point seven seconds were useless in London. Scott knew this. He also knew that it would be quicker to get a taxi back to his flat without having to park the Porsche. But if he adopted that attitude he would never drive the car from Monday to Friday. It was his toy.

He drove back to his home and let his mind wonder over Emily. He wanted to have her. And would need some luck because her attitude to him was totally negative. But he wanted her and he was going to get her.

-O-

The next day, Emily sat at her desk at her place of work. Yesterday had been fun, mostly, doing a swap with Jess. To pretend to be a model for a hour had given her a peek into that world. The surprise requirement to bare her chest had not been so delightful. And afterwards at the Ritz had been something else. She smiled at the thought of Scott's ruined tie. 

'You're smiling Emily. Something nice?' The head of her department stood at her side. An arrogant boss who liked to look down Emily's cleavage. She let him gawp, she didn't care.

'Oh. I feel much better today.' Emily had taken a sicky yesterday, phoned in to say she wasn't feeling so good, food poisoning. She knew she couldn't do that so often, but it had been necessary to do the modelling interview.

'Good to have you back, Emily. Let me know when you've cracked that glitch on the server.' With a final glance at Emily's open neck shirt, her boss went back to his office. The fact remained that Emily was bored out of her mind, but the job got her the income she needed to pay her mortgage and lifestyle costs. At the age of twenty-two and single, this was important to her.

Her graduate degree in computer science, at Oxford University, had made her application to the Department of Health easy. They wanted her to sort out computer problems at this Government Department. She didn't tell them what she now wanted, because that would have been an instant dismissal. Her boss was a lecher, a dirty old man with pig eyes, who was careful not to get caught doing anything against the law. Her real interest lay in getting her own back on the smug man who sat in the glass fronted office. Emily had no idea how she might embarrass him. Yet.