Across the universe

The air was sweet on her lips. There was a smell of perfume and exotic food cooking somewhere across the river. Lights dancing across the water, she traced the source of the glow back to the apartments that lined the shore. Beige bricks and red roofs made up the apartments. Somewhere her love was curled up in bed. He should be asleep given the hour. Then again, maybe he was as restless as her.

***

“Kiss me?” She stretched up on her tip toes. Her eyelashes shuttered as her face flushed. A smile played on her lips and reached her eyes.

He was holding her in way unlike most boys. There was no possessiveness in his body language and she held him back in the same way. He tilted her head up since she was a few inches shorter. Their lips met softly at first. But, like many times before, the kiss picked up speed. He pulled away to look into her green eyes. “I love you.” He murmured and pressed his lips against her neck.

Her fingers were tangled in his hair. “I love you, too.”

***

“Stop it!” He screamed. But there was already blood pooling on the floor. Her wrists sliced open. “Why? Wasn't I enough? Wasn't I enough to make you stay?” Tears crept out from his eyes. He shook his head, regretting his words.

The girl stood in front of him and watched as he dialed 911.

***

I miss you.

Her eyes scanned the letter. At least he wrote to her everyday.

***

Now, looking out at the lights across the water, she felt at peace. In the tiny white walled room, she found peace. As she recalled the past, a tear slipped away and trailed down her cheek. On the other side of the water, he was awake. His heart thudded against his chest. They would see each other soon. Each longed for each other's warm embrace.