Chapter 29

***Mai's P.O.V.***

We were out of that old and creepy house and back on the road now. I was growing more and more nervous with each day because I was closer than ever to going to Africa. If I was correct, tomorrow would be the last day that I would be in the states, and then the day after that we would leave for Africa. I had actually surprised myself with how many times I had tried to escape. It would be appropriate to say that, if there was a possible way out, I was trying to escape every single second. Now, though, there was absolutely no way out of the car that I was in.

My father had tied my hands to the door of the car after my first attempt to get in his way of driving in order to crash the car. If I kept this up, they would probably end up sedating me for the rest of the time. My fathers friend had gone ahead of us to set up his small plane, and to clear out a house that we were supposed to be stopping at. I was thankful to be away from him because I already had enough cuts and bruises to last me a lifetime for the punishment of my failed escapes. I think he might have broken one of my bones; then again, I wasn't crying from the pain yet so maybe not.

Apparently, no one was traveling down the roads we took because every one we went on was abandoned or close to it. Any cars that did pass by didn't pay any attention to us or if they did they didn't notice me. I mean, we were in Florida; how the f*** was there no one on the roads? Especially in the summer time. I get that we were in a less popular area, but where were all of the people?

I could tell that my father was enjoying all of this a lot. He was probably relishing in the fact that he hadn't been caught yet, and he had no reason to believe that he ever would. His smug reassurance only made my resolve to get away even more intense. I was sure as hell going to get him in big trouble for this, and he would have to kill me in order to get me to stop trying to escape.

We hit a bump in the road and my side burned with pain. Maybe I was wrong; maybe my father's friend had broken something. A tear made its way down my cheek and I cursed inside of my head because of the pain. Hopefully, I would get away from them soon or whatever was broken would have to mend itself. The road became bumpier, and the pain mounted to unimaginable heights as I threw my head back and cringed. I was trying to hold back a cry of pain, and it wasn't really working. God, I hoped to be free soon.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

***Harry's P.O.V.***

When I got back to the hotel, none of the boys had been there. It didn't come as a surprise because they had called to tell me that they would be out for a while and didn't know when they would come back. I had been out since the early hours of the morning trying to find any clues of where Ay might be. I was so mad at myself for... just everything. No matter how many times the boys told me that it wasn't my fault I knew that they were only being nice. It was my fault; it was all my fault.

I pulled at my curls as I walked through the hotel room that Louis and I shared. My clothes were practically drenched from sweat caused by my nervousness and the intense summer heat. So, I pulled off my shirt and went to my drawer to get another one. However, I opened the wrong drawer and was greeted by Louis' shirts instead. With a huff, I pulled one out because I knew that he wouldn't mind if I used one of his. I stopped, though, when something fell out of the folds of the shirt and hit the floor. I bent down and picked up what looked like a Florida Gators flash drive.

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at the object in my hands. I couldn't remember a time when Louis had bought this or when he had even used it. Plus, it looked new and I knew that Louis couldn't keep things looking new for long. My curiosity got the better of me, and I grabbed Louis computer to plop the flash drive in. After clicking to view the contents I saw the only file which was named by numbers and symbols. With the curiosity still fueling my actions, I opened the file and was surprised when security cameras filled the screen. My eyebrows scrunched together in confusion until I saw the boys, Ay, and I walk to a door that was now starting to seem quite familiar.

Immediately, I got the feeling that I should stop watching. I felt as if the best thing to do would be to close the computer and forget that I had even found the flash drive, but I didn't do that. My gaze was fixed on the screen and what was happening. It didn't take long for things to play out on the different screens, and I found myself holding my breath while I watched. The ending was what really put the icing on the cake, and it left me to just stare at the computer. I'm sure my face was void of any emotion, because I was too busy screaming on the inside to show any emotion.

Vaguely, I could hear the door of the hotel room opening and closing along with the sound of the boys' voices. Their talking stopped, however, when they rounded the corner and saw me staring at the screen blankly. Louis even cursed under his breath. I could feel my heart start to pound in my chest as new anxiety washed over me. This video had managed to add to my nervousness. "Harry," Liam started.

"How long have you guys had this?" I questioned accusingly.

"I just got it today," Louis told me before adding, "you weren't supposed to see it..."

"I-I figured as much," I stuttered out before shutting the computer with the shake of my head, and then standing up to head for the door.

"Where are you going?" Niall wondered while they all watched me. I was stumbling about a bit, and I could feel a small pain in my chest. I felt panicked; it was almost as if the room was closing in on me and I just had to get out. Even as the anxiety set in there were four words going through my head:

It's all my fault.

My fingers and hands began to tingle as the words ran a never ending marathon in my head and refused to give up. "I-I have t-to find her," I mumbled out while a sudden wave of heat passed through me and made me feel as if I was starting to sweat.

"Harry," Liam began as he tried to grab my shoulder and get me to look at him, but I flinched away and my back hit the wall. I stood there and looked at them, the wall against my back feeling almost constricting as if it was pushing me towards them. Was I losing my mind? I couldn't even control my thoughts anymore. "Where are you going to go, Harry? Where on earth do you even plan on starting?" he asked, not seeming to notice my panic.

"I-I don’t know; I just have to find her. Sh-he has to be alive. T-this cant be it. I-I did-dn't want this to happen; I-I didn’t want any of th-his to happen," the words came out through gasps, and my breath was getting more and more rapid and shallow. I felt my chest starting to hurt again, and I suddenly realized what was happening. It had only happened once or twice before.

"Harry, are you okay?" Zayn questioned urgently. I couldn't answer him; my breathing was too out of control to even allow me one word. I sank down to the floor of the hotel room, and clutched at my chest. 

The boys rushed to my side, and I heard Liam suggest that I was having a panic attack. They tried to get me to calm down, but even the words sounded foreign and the idea was impossible to grasp. Louis attempted to get my breathing under control by treating me like a pregnant woman and doing something along the lines of breathing exercises. Niall, Zayn, and Liam were all freaking out along with me at that point, and it wasn't helping me at all.

"Everybody shut up!" Louis shouted which caused the boys to stop bickering about trying to help me. My heavy breathing was all that could be heard for a moment until Louis grabbed a paper bag from inside of the bathroom that once held his shampoo and conditioner. He held it out to me, and I grabbed it quickly before holding it up to my mouth and trying to control my breathing. It helped a little, and Louis told Niall to look up other ways to help me. Soon, they were all doing what some article said, and I could feel the panic slowly slip away.

As soon as I had calmed down substantially, the tears set in, and I was a blubbering mess. "It's all my fault," I sobbed, and the boys pulled me into a sort of group hug.

"We'll find her, Harry," Louis said, but-even if he had believed it before- he didn't seem so sure anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aw, poor Harry. I hope you guys liked this chapter, and the next one should be up this upcoming Friday or Saturday. :) See you soon hopefully!

-cow_queen