Chapter 20

***Mai's P.O.V.***

It was night time, that's all I knew. The crying had stopped a while ago and I guessed that the boys had gone to bed. It left me alone with my thoughts, and the one at the top of the pile was eating away at me. How could everything be flipped around in one day?

My head rolled back as I let out a sigh of defeat, but it was quickly sucked back in. Right above my head, well more like above the toilet, there was a hatch. I'm no genius, but hatches usually mean outside, especially when you're on a bus. So, I hoisted myself onto the closed toilet and tried to push against the hatch. For a few moments I struggled and then something seemed to snap. The hatch lifted a little and I could feel the rush of air flying past the opening due to the bus driving down the freeway. A triumphant smile graced my lips as I sighed in relief at my accomplishment.

It was soon wiped away, though, when the door cracked open. I quickly sat down on the toilet's closed lid before they could enter and, to my luck, they took the extra time to knock. I waited curiously to see who was going to try to talk to me this time, and was surprised to see Niall. I couldn't remember if he had been there when I was out earlier, but I didn't think he was. I know for sure that he had been crying, though, I would know that cry from anywhere.

When he stepped fully inside of the small room I cursed inside my head. All he had to do was look up and I would be in trouble again. Not to mention, we were too close for my comfort. I didn't want to be within close proximity with any of them after all of this, and I wondered why they couldn't see that. After all, what did they expect to happen when they kidnapped me?

A sniffle from Niall was enough to pull me from my careful thoughts, and I looked closer at the Irish lad. He wasn't looking directly at me, but I could still see that the bright blue of his eyes was surrounded by the bloodshot red that came from crying. His eyelids where red as well and his cheeks were flushed of most of their color. It made for an absolutely heart retching view, but I managed to keep my resolve of not feeling sorry for them. They might say they felt bad, but they could prove it by just going back and taking me home. 

''Princess,'' he started in a shaky voice and I cringed at the pet name. It didn't seem as sweet of a gesture anymore.  Niall caught my pained look and bowed his head with his first few words, ''Sorry, Mai, I just thought that you might want a song before bed.''

I resisted the urge to gape at him. Frankly, the last thing I wanted was a song: especially from one of them. I pulled my feet up onto the toilet's lid and brought my knees to my chest as I let one word slip, ''No.'' It might not have made complete sense, but he understood the meaning of it.

Niall's face fell even more and his back rested against the door of the bathroom before he slid down to the floor. He rested his forehead on his forearm as a few more sniffles made their way between strangled cries. ''W-We're s-sorry, Mai,'' he cried.

''That doesn't change things,'' I replied with the bitter edge leaving my voice with each of his cries.

''I-I know, b-but please d-don't hate us,'' Niall begged while he looked up at me through tear blurred eyes.

''Why shouldn't I?'' I pressed on, ''Do you realize what you guys have done? You took me away from the people that I love. You took me away from my life.''

''I s-said we're sorry,'' he spat back through tears, ''w-what more do you want?''

''What more do I want?'' my voice was reaching dangerously close to a shout while I towered over his shaking form, ''I want my life back. Maybe you five can go out and preform every week with me still locked up in here, but what is my life going to be like? I was supposed to go to school, Niall, get a job. Heck, I could have even gotten married. What. Am. I. Supposed. To. Do. Now?'' He didn't answer and I felt the anger boiling over, ''While you guys get to live your lives, I have to stay locked away from the world because If I don't I'll get away and ruin your reputations. You'll all go to jail. Did you guys not think of that?''

''We didn't care,'' he sniffled, ''We just-.'' He stopped abruptly and shifted positions to look past me. My heart immediately dropped when I realized what he was looking at. ''Liam!'' he called quickly as he grabbed my wrists before I could try and attempt anything. Within a few moments the worried looking features of Liam poked their head into the bathroom where he saw us. I was struggling to break my wrists free from Niall's grip, but he was too strong compared to me.

''What's wrong?'' Liam wondered when he closed the door behind him. The soft chatter from behind the door told me that the other boys were awake now too.

''She opened the hatch that was up there,'' Niall told him with another sniffle. Liam looked up to the ceiling to see what he was talking about and when he saw the unlocked hatch he shook his head. His gaze turned to me and he took me from Niall's grip only to force me to sit back on the lid of the toilet.

''You need to stop,'' he stated with a stern look, ''Stop trying to get away: you're going to hurt yourself.''

''I want to go home,'' I replied defiantly.

''I know,'' he responded sadly, ''But you cant.'' My gaze fell to the floor at his words and he sighed heavily before adding, ''We're not going to hurt you.''

''You already have,'' I muttered and he tried to bring me into a hug but I pushed him away quickly and roughly. ''I just want to be left alone! Don't you get it?! You kidnapped me! I don't want your comfort, I want to be as far away from you as possible!'' I yelled at him. His reaction looked kin to one of being stabbed multiple times, but I didn't care. He lifted me from the toilet's lid gently and pulled me away from it before stepping onto it himself and reaching up to close the hatch.

''What are we supposed to do now, Liam?'' Niall asked.

Liam looked down at us both before stepping off of the toilet lid and answering, ''we'll be at a hotel in the morning, and we'll just have to find a way to keep her in there. For now...'' He was quiet as he spoke but then he reached past Niall and I's heads and knocked on the door, ''Harry, grab a few of my old shirts.'' I raised an eyebrow in question which was only ignored, and soon the door opened to reveal a few balled up shirts. Liam ripped the shirts that Harry had given him and made a chain out of the torn fabric with multiple knots.

''You're not really going to do what I think you're doing,'' Niall wondered, ''Are you?''

''I don't see any other way right now,'' Liam grumbled as he worked. I had already put the pieces together in my head, and within a few minutes my guess was confirmed when he wrapped the knotted fabric around my wrists. He looped it as many times as possible so that any movement my hands made hurt slightly, and then he tied it tight. When he was done, he took hold of my upper arm and guided me out of the bathroom and through the row of bunks. Harry, Louis, and Zayn looked on in quiet sadness before climbing into their bunks and drawing the curtains closed. Liam, without warning, lifted me off of my feet and placed me into a bunk before drawing the curtain closed. I could hear his sighs outside of the curtain so I knew that he was still standing outside of the bunk. He probably would stay there all night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, did I make up for the short chapters and long wait? I am so sorry if it seems a bit rushed a jumpy, I have an excuse but you probably don't want to hear it. So I hope you enjoyed, and there is a lot to come. Hopefully I can update again this week. (Hoping for a few snow days to get HW and stories done) :D

-cow_queen