Chapter 25

***Mai's P.O.V.***

The outside scenery rushes past in colors that I can barely comprehend anymore. I forget when my mind became this muddled, but it might have been a slow progression. All I knew for sure was that my head was killing me from all the crying I had done. Crying didn't stop the car, though, and I could practically feel it speeding up when I shed a tear.

''Do you still like books?" my father asked from his place in the drivers seat. I turned to him with a glare on my face, and he just frowned at me. ''I'll take that as a no,'' he trailed off before looking back towards the road. I shook my head with a roll of my eyes before looking back out of the window. It was dark outside now, and- even though we had been driving for hours- we still hadn't gotten off of this back road that had little to no other cars. We were in Florida, and I hadn't known that there were any roads like this in Florida. ''We'll be there shortly,'' he told me.

I wanted out of this tiny car, and- more importantly- away from my father. This was like a family road trip gone to hell, and it even came complete with occasional tunes from the radio and a numb behind. If my hands weren't bound together I might have found it a bit more bearable. Then again, if my hands weren't bound I would have tried to kill my father and then I'd be gone like the wind.

The only options for entertainment I had were my father, the sometimes working radio, and my thoughts. With my father being the one that kidnapped me and the person who I want the least to talk to, the first option isn't really desirable. Considering that my thoughts ultimately ended up travelling to how this would all end- which was definitely not screaming sunshine and lollipops at this point- the third option wasn't any better. So, when the radio would find a spark of life, I was glad to just think about the song lyrics instead of this screwed up situation.

Gradually, the pavement turned into dirt, and then we turned onto a slightly obscured path between two woods. My father glanced around the dark path carefully once he turned the lights to the car off. My eyes soon adjusted to the darkness, and I saw a faint light in the distance. With a jolt, the car unexpectedly came to a halt. After succeeding in trying to keep my head from crashing into the windshield, I tried to see if I could recognize anything else besides the light.

''Well, here we are,'' my father sighed heavily just as a figure started to approach the car. I had a slight panic attack because I had seen the horror movies and the creepy figure walking towards a car in the middle of the woods just screamed murder. However, looking at my dad, there was no sign of surprise or fear. Instead, a smile spread across his lips and he got out of the car before going to embrace the figure. He came around to my side of the car and opened the door. Then, he grabbed the rope binding my wrists together, and tugged me up in a somewhat gentle manner. ''Take her inside and put her in a room without windows,'' my father instructed.

I tried to get a good look at the guy who took my arm roughly, and started to guide me somewhere. I couldn't really see his face due to the darkness, and even if there was light to show his face he was now facing away from me. I struggled to try and break free from his grip; I knew it was a feeble attempt, but I had to try something. He only grunted and kept pulling me towards that small light in the distance. ''Who are you?'' I questioned somewhat bitterly as he tugged.

''I'm a friend of your fathers,'' he stated with a voice thickened by a British accent. He must've been a friend from back in Wales. ''Taking you two to Africa,'' he added. Before I could ask anything else, I felt the ground beneath my feat start to change to something that creaked. I felt unstable as we clambered along, but I soon was settled when the ground changed back to something more solid. Finally, I could see where the light was coming from and where I was.

An old and rundown looking house loomed over my head, and I gulped at the size of it. Without warning, I was pushed roughly through the front door of the house and a light was shined in my eyes. I squinted to see beyond the blinding light, but the glare made it hard to see. ''Well, you're quite the looker,'' the man commented with a chuckle, making me shiver in disgust. I felt a hand touch my cheek and I flinched away from it quickly only to be ceased by a hand on my upper arm. The grip was tight, and it pulled me out of the beam of the light and to the man's side again. Now that the light was there, I could get a better look at his face.

He didn't look much older than my father, but he did look dirtier. My father had a friendly face- one that you thought that you could trust (ironic, right?)- but this man just looked like a grungier version of Rasputin. Grungier. The clothes he was wearing didn't help his appearance because they looked like clothes fit for murdering someone. Baggy, grey, and very dirty; the clothes you could afford to get blood on. The thought made me shiver again, and I prayed that my father wasn't going to let this man do anything to me. It actually scared me to think that I would rather be around my father than this man.

He dragged me even further into the dark and creepy house. The creaks and groans of the wood settling beneath our feet made it that much eerier, and I could just picture some pale ghost walking behind us. Instinctively, I turned around. Nothing was there, thankfully. However, not keeping an eye out for where I was stumbling made me run into a wall, and the man laughed before continuing to pull me with him.

Eventually, we stopped at a door which he opened, looked inside, and the shoved me in. I turned to look at him, about to see if I could possibly get past him through the doorway, but he pulled out a knife and I froze. Slowly, he approached me, and I willed myself to back away, but my legs had apparently grown a mind of their own that refused to listen to me. Painfully, he grabbed my wrists again and slid the knife between them before jerking the knife upwards. I could feel the blade on my skin for a moment but then it was gone, and the ropes that bound me before were on the floor of the room. I hurried to rub my raw wrists, and then was about the make a move to run for it now that I was freed from those dreaded things, but a knife was soon pointed in my face.

I stared down my nose at the object with wide eyes, and then watched as he slowly backed towards the door with it. Once he got to the doorway, he lowered it and gave me a smirk. ''Sleep tight, and don't cause trouble.'' Then, he slammed the door shut, locked it, and left me in complete darkness. 

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

So, things aren't sunshine and rainbows anymore. Well, I don't suppose they have been for a while, but I think we can all agree that the boys treated her much better than this. Don't forget to comment if you have any questions about what is happening (I know this might be a bit confusing right now). I'll answer anything as best that I can and without giving away what happens next. I hope you enjoyed, and thanks for all of the reads! I love you guys so much for it :)

-cow_queen