Part 34: Friendship

"Y/n" you were startled but looked down seeing Carl "what do you want?" You asked "can we talk?" He asked nervously bouncing on his feet "get up here" you sighed and shook your head

You and Carl used to sit up here all the time so he knew the way up from the side of the house. He climbed up and sat in front of you "I'm sorry" he started but stopped from being out of breath "I didn't mean it"

You nodded "it's fine Carl" you looked back down at the journal

He stopped "are you sure?" He asked you nodded again not looking at him. Carl sighed "what you doing up here?" He questioned "clearing my head" you uttered barely audible "am I interrupting?"

"Yes" you declared just to see his reaction "oh" he muttered looking down, you let out a soft laugh "im kidding" you clarified making Carl smirk. You closed the journal with the pencil in it and put it beside you, so you were practically sitting on it making sure it wouldn't fall off the roof.

You brought your knees to your chest so you could sit comfortably "so what are you doing out late?" You asked catching Carl's attention "I was going for a walk and saw you so decided to say hi" he answered you nodded and looked down

Carl let out a sigh "what's going on with you and Enid?" He quickly asked this time catching your attention "I don't really know" you answered honestly.
Even though you and Carl had argued you talked like you never did. He has been one of your best friends for years now so you were used to dealing with him.

"Are you okay?" Carl asked his tone turning serious, your tired eyes looked at him "sure" you answered not wanting to cry in front of him right now "you're lying" he said firmly. You rested your head on the house but kept your eyes in your lap "it's-it's the loneliness I can't- I can't take it" your voice cracked and your lip shook as you spoke

Carl started to understand what you felt. He had lost his eye but he has family, he had his dad and Judith to stay by his side. Sure people were there for you and you considered the group to be family, but it wasn't the same.

"Were so young and were so fucked up"

You laughed and nodded "yup" you wiped your tears off your face with the bottom of your shirt. "Do you still remember our handshake?" Carl asked with a smile trying to brighten the mood "oh god"

You both laughed, your laughs slowly dying out silence settling over the two of you for a good five minutes before Carl had to break it "do you think your dads still out there?"

You shrugged in response "if he is, he's probably long gone by now"
"I can help you look for him if-"
"Carl" you cut him off

"My dads gone trust me".....